Boom Vang Components

Previous topic - Next topic

TortolaTim

Hey all, I'm getting rid of the janky mainsail furler from a PO and going back to the standard main attachment. I currently don't have a vang, and want to put one together myself. I'd like to run the control back to the cockpit. Looking at this picture of the "out of the box" vang from CD, would I just need the 2 fiddle blocks (1 with becket), but not the cam as pictured? Then I'd run it to a block at the mast base, through an organizer and aft to the cockpit. Does this sound like the right idea? Additionally, any estimates on the length of line it would take? Not sure how to measure the multiple trips through the fiddle blocks before going aft to the rope clutches. Thanks!
Tim Callico
1989 C34 #957
M25XP
St Johns, FL

KWKloeber

I made mine long enough to be certain that I could use it for:
A preventer.
A hoist at boom end to retrieve a Lifesling.

I have a Wichard snap shackle on one end and a heavy duty snap biner on the other so I can easily deploy it elsewhere.  Although it's long enough to run back to the cockpit I don't have it permanently run like that so that I can move it quickly as needed in an emergency.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Tim : I'd go with a ridged Vang from Garhauer.  You won't regret it!!  Easy to install and to run it into the cockpit!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ted Pounds

Almost completely agree with Ron except for one minor point, it's a 'rigid' vang. 😉
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Noah

I like mine too. But, it is not an "easy install" unless you have a helper. It take two people.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

TortolaTim

Yeah guys, agree that the rigid vang is nice, but it's better than triple the price of a traditional setup. I have to be judicious about where the boat bucks are going this year as I'd like to get a new set of sails. Additionally, autopilot is dead, fridge is dead, chartplotter only works when it feels like it....  :? :?
Tim Callico
1989 C34 #957
M25XP
St Johns, FL