C34 2002 transmission failure…what do I do?

Previous topic - Next topic

LesGalicinski

My 2002 C34 Mk 2 transmission has just failed.  Grinding noise when I try forward or reverse.  Prop shaft rotates by hand. Do I need to remove the engine to replace tranny?  :cry4`

I am in Lake Simcoe at Hawkestone Yacht club in Ontario.  Boat is hull 1624.  M35B Universal engine

andre

I have a 1997 with m35bc and I removed my trans without touch my motor. I changed my damper plate . what you need to do is to remove heat exchanger and a couple of hoses. But maybe you donT have the same disposition.
L'Apache hull#1377  1997 Quebec Canada universal 35bc

Jim Hardesty

QuoteDo I need to remove the engine to replace tranny?

I've never done it.  Hope not to.  But, I think if the cabinetry is removed and possibly the heat exchanger it would be doable.  Removing the cabinetry is written up here sounds easy.  Again I've never done it.
Lot's of luck and keep us posted,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Les : You do not need to remove the engine as the M35BC engine has the transmission mounting bolts/nuts on the outside (into the bell housing).
Disconnect the drive shaft from the transmission and shove the drive shaft aft. Now All you need to do is remove the 4? nuts/bolts (look at the manual diagram) and you can pull off the transmission.  You'll also see the damper and might want to change that now while you have everything apart?    :thumb:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

LesGalicinski

Thanks for your replies.  I did get the tranny out.  Had to lift the back of the engine to get clear of the drive shaft coupling as it would only go back 3/4 inch.   A mechanic at the club is looking at a rebuild.  The replacement tranny ZF 10M is $3500 from Catalina Direct. Anyone know of  cheaper source? :clap

Dave Spencer

Hi Les,
Since you're here in Ontario, I'd strongly recommend giving Anthony Keats Marine in Wheatley (near Point Pelee) a call.  519-825-4631  A friend with a Catalina 28 had trouble with his transmission a couple of years ago had a very good experience working with them. I understand they are the "go to" supplier in Ontario for Hurth/ZF parts and service. https://anthonykeatsmarine.com

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Ron Hill

Les : One of the C34 owners had a similiar problem and said he was looking at a ZF 12 which is supposedly cheaper. 

You might want to look into that and report back!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

LesGalicinski

Thanks for the info.  I will call Anthony Keats Mariine.   Not sure if they will be open on Labour day, but definitely Tuesday. 

Jon W

Les, since you're replacing your transmission you should know that a couple folks changed to the Twin Disc transmission.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Dave DeAre

Hi Les,
You bought my 30 when I moved to the 34. Had the same transmission problem with my 2002 34, bought a new ZF 10 M from Harbor Marine, Everett WA. Cost was $1,200 in 2012. (425)-259-3285.

Trans Atlantic Diesel may also have the ZF 10 M (804)642-9296   https://www.ta diesels.com/contact.html

Have had no problems since, Good luck!
Dave DeAre

Overdue
2002 34, roller main, tall rig
Burnham Harbor, Chicago

dfloeter

I would back the ZF12 comment.  It was cheaper, the offset and gear ratio were a bit off.  With a Max Prop I could adjust for the ratio and had ample room for minor offset change. 
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

andre

If you call Anthony Keat ask him for the cost of rebuildind your trans. Me I have rebuilt myself but I know that Antony do that.
L'Apache hull#1377  1997 Quebec Canada universal 35bc

LesGalicinski

Thanks guys for your input.  Dave, I really enjoyed sailing Railin and winning many races with her.

Re the transmission.  I am in a bit of a quandary.  I have spoken to Pete at Anthony Keats Marine and he had suggested that because I had a noise in both forward and reverse that it might be the damper plate and not the trans. 

However, my symptom was that I had no nose in neutral even at high rpm, but when I shifted into either forward or reverse, at low rpm, there was a grinding noise and no propulsion.  Even when I disconnected the prop shaft, this was still the case. 

I understand that when the engine is running, the input shaft to the trans is rotating, so iF the problem was the damper plate, would I have not heard the noise even in neutral, especially at high rpm?

The fact that there was no noise in neutral yet noise in forward and reverse makes me think it is definitely the trans.

My next step is to bench test the trans my rotating input shaft and seeing if I can replicate the noise.   

How can I determine the integrity of the damper plate now that the trans is out?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Les

Ron Hill

Les : As I remember the Hurth 100 (ZF 10) damper is what I'd call an elastomeric bearing type damper - it is NOT the old clutch plate type damper plate (M25XP engine).

I believe that it just fits (slides) on to the flywheel spline and then the other end mates in to the transmission.  This is all from memory as I am NOT a transmission mechanic that takes these apart every couple of months!!  The damper simply is a simple slide ON slide OFF - as I recall (align the splines) !?

Hope this helps - a few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Sailing Sirona

Following....

I'm in the same boat :). Left on Monday for a week-long trip, and only got about 5 miles before propulsion dropped considerably... after checking a bunch of things it looks like the clutch on my transmission (Hurth 100 on M35) is worn and slipping - I've got some engagement, and can get a bit of propulsion in forward, and reverse is fine.  I'll be looking around for a replacement (likely ZF 10 from the sounds of things), and will update.  Thanks Dave for a possible start point in WA.
Steve Richards
"Sirona"
1992 C34 1.5 (#1194), M35
Cowichan Bay, BC