Temporary Fuel Tank?

Previous topic - Next topic

McSalish

I just experienced the dreaded leaking fuel tank.  I've emptied the tank and removed it from the boat but would like to use the boat while I wait for a replacement.  I'm planning to use a 6 gallon plastic outboard tank secured in the port side lazzarette with a return to a separate container under the head sink.  Does anyone forsee any problems with this arrangement (other than needing to closely monitor the the fuel return container)?  Have any of you done something different as a temporary set up when replacing the tank?  Thanks for your input.

Ron Hill

McSal : Not really a great idea!! But one thing is to make damn sure that the substitute containers are rated for diesel or you'll surely have a MESS!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Mc

1. A portable tank isn't permitted (especially not vented overboard) so don't advertise (like on the internet) that you're doing it (and give any authorities on the water a WIDE berth.)

2.  Calculate the difference between what the engine consumes (about 1/2 GPH, I believe on a C34?) and what a facet fuel pump can supply (say even at 50% efficiency given friction and backpressure in the lines.)  The difference is the return to the diesel tank.

Do the math and you may rethink your plan slightly. :shock: :shock: :shock:   
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

McSalish

Thanks for the input.  Especially with regard to fuel pump volume and return flow.  I've found a tank that will allow me to replace a fuel level gauge with a second pick up, which I will use as a fuel return inlet.  I'll test the whole show with secondary containment and will probably leave secondary containment in place.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the fuel safety and ventilation regulations in 33CFR apply only to boats with gasoline engines.  Are there other regs I need to know about?

KWKloeber

Mc
ABYC H-33 requires a fixed diesel tank - I agree that CFR doesn't require it. 
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

scgunner

McSalish,

You must really need to go sailing badly, which is very likely how it could go. Your boat, your choice of course but sometimes it's just better to park the boat until you get it right.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

pablosgirl

McSalish,
My brother in law had this very issue while cruising in the Florida keys a couple years ago.  His tank started leaking, so he purchased a 6 gal outboard tank and added a brass barbed fitting to the temp tank for the fuel return. I think he placed it close to the tank opening to be able to attach the backing nut the the barbed fitting. After having the fuel removed from the boat tank which lives in the keel (IP 38), he installed the temp tank to get the boat up the west coast of Florida to the IP factor repair yard.  25k later he had a new fuel and water tank and salon floor.  It seams that you have to remove the salon floor to get at the water tank and remove it to be able to remove the fuel tank, which lives under the companion way tucked against the front on the engine.  Replaced the water tank because he did not want to tear up the salon floor again when the water tank started to leak.  Big job and he wanted the IP repair yard to do the repair so the temporary tank was necessary to get it there.  Worked great for the week required to get to the yard.  Just had to monitor the one tank and siphon fuel from a 5 gal Gerry can when it got low.  Really makes you thank Catalina for making our tanks so accessible!
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Noah

On a MK1 you Do NOT have to do anything with the salon floor. You just remove the two bulkheads in aft cabin, take the slack out of the engine control cables and remove the water tank. To remove fuel tank just need to remove the Portside bulkhead, disconnect the fuel lines, unbolt the tank and remove. Both are easy!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : "Don't reinvent the wheel" - I wrote an article (Mainsheet Tech Notes) on how to remove, clean the insides, and reinstall the MK I fuel tank!!   :shock:

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Somehow I doubt that cleaning the tank will do much toward repairing the leak or speeding up delivery of the new one.  LOL  :rolling :rolling