12 vdc plug

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

I'm going to add at least one more 12 vdc plug in my cabin.  One is going to be for my Engle freezer.  I don't really like the cigarette lighter plugs.  In the common wisdom of the group what is the best 12 vdc plug?  Doesn't need to be waterproof just something that handles the load and stays plugged in well.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

mdidomenico

anderson power-poles are pretty common in the ham radio world.  though, since it's inside, i'd image you could use just about anything reasonable
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Jim : Look at the Marinco and Anchor brand cigarette lighter style plugs.  They are not the cheap flimsy plugs that you usually find in marina stores!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Jim
The lighter plug/sockets that Rom refer to are actual locking.  1/2 turn to unlock them. I've used those for all the 12v receptacles aboard.   But you must use the matching plug and socket for them to lock together.

Are you looking for a panel-mount mount socket or a cord-end socket?

You could use a 2-pole polarized 12v, which you can also get with a flush socket.  They don't particularly lock in though.

When I need a locking set, I use a NEMA L1-15 configuration. It's "technically" not for 12v, (the NEMA configuration is a 120v mini plug/socket) but they work great for the purpose.  They lock with a slight twist (like a shore power cord.). I've also gotten receptacles in a flush panel mount type.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

QuoteAre you looking for a panel-mount mount socket or a cord-end socket?

Ken,
I'm looking at both.  Panel-mount to be mounted possibly near the battery selector switch.  Cord-end to splice on existing cigarette plug to allow me to plug the fridge into other places.
That way don't need to buy the pricey cord from Engle. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Jim

Well any of the type plugs/sockets I mention would work and also have flush-mount sockets available as well as cord-end plugs and sockets. 

Of course, if you use an oddball plug, the socket is then dedicated to that use unless you make a pigtail adapter to a standard cigarette-lighter socket that you can plug in something "standard."

The NEMA L1-15 plugs are about the diameter of a quarter (below is a 3 pole (center ground) -- you obviously need only a 2 pole (same dimensions.) 

Another option smaller option is an 2-pole Amphenol type connector (last 2 pics) - about the diameter of a nickle.  Their cases screw together nicely and are weathertight (I don't have a pic of the female half, it's 700 miles away right now.)

It really just depends on how secure you want it - push together like the 12v, 2-pole (trailer type) plug/socket, or a twist-lock or screw-together.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Lucas

I did go with a decent (sturdy) cigarette plug for our Engle and just put it in a protected area where it wouldn't get knocked. The good thing about staying with this is we can easily move the Engle to the car or ? and not have to mess with the 12v plug.

Jim
Jim Lucas
1999 MKII #1431, M35B, TR/FK 
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Victoria, BC Canada

Ron Hill

Jim : I'd stick with the cigarette lighter style plug - I just wouldn't go for the El Cheapo brand!!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788