Reversing Solenoid - Does It have to be a Maxwell one?

Previous topic - Next topic

KeelsonGraham

Hi All,

I was pondering the default windlass arrangements on my new-to-me C34, L A Lady.

It strikes me as really dangerous to have my little pinkies so close to a running anchor chain. Especially as the clutch release method apparently sometimes results in a rapid anchor drop.

I noticed in other posts here that I'm not the only one who thinks this isn't safe. So, I plan to install a remote switch. My question is, do I need to fork out for the $130 Maxwell reversing solenoid, or will any old reversing solenoid designed for windlass size current draws be OK?
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

Ron Hill

Keel : I'll guess that you will need (if yours already doesn't have it?) a new solenoid on the motor for the ability to connect a down both a down and up switchs.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KeelsonGraham

Hi Ron,

Looking at the diagram in the Maxwell manual I think I think all I need is need a reversing solenoid pack plus whatever switch I choose. The Maxwell switch is hugely expensive for something so simple so I'll source something 3rd party.

I was wondering if the same applies for the reversing solenoid. I can get something for as little as $30 online which is quite a bit different from the $130-140 for Maxwell's own brand solenoid (also made in China).

Hence my question as to whether there's a pressing reason to go with Maxwell's.

Ron Hill

Keel : Sorry about that!!  On my Lewmar windless motor solenoid there were already connection points for the Up as well as the Down switches. Guess I spoke out of turn!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

The short answer is Yes.  I had a solenoid go bad and replaced it with one bought from a supply house.  But, if the Maxwell is a kit it may be worth it to get everything in a neat package and a high quality switch that will stand up to the elements.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

I have a Maxwell 135 amp circuit breaker and foot switch, both new, unopened, if anyone wants them for FREEā€”Just pay shipping. They came with my new Maxwell VW10-8 windlass. Unfortunately I don't have an extra solenoid for you.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KeelsonGraham

OK, thank you all. To be on the safe side, I'm opting for the Maxwell solenoid. It looks pretty well built. If only it wasn't made in China.

Ron Hill

Keel : That's the best, because basically all the solenoid is doing is reversing the current so the motor runs the other way!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KeelsonGraham

OK, so I bought the Maxwell reversing solenoid. Now I need a wireless remote control to operate it.

I'm assuming that any manufacturer's remote will be OK? Because all it's doing is switching the low current side of a relay. The Lofrans one looks good.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Presumably there's no particular reason to go with a Maxwell controller?

Ron Hill

Keel : Will just any remote operate your TV!!????  or use your DVD remote on your stereo!!!

I believe that you already know the answer to your question of a remote interfacing with your windlass!!

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

KeelsonGraham

Hi Ron, that's not a good analogy. When you buy a windlass remote kit you get both the transmitter and receiver. Clearly, these two will work together.

The (electrical) issue is whether the outputs from the receiver are in in way proprietary to the manufacturer. I'm guessing that they probably aren't.

waughoo

Keel is correct that the remote is independant of the brand of the windlass or its solenoid. They come with their own reciever which piggybacks onto the solonoid controls.  For example, I installed 2x warner hoists on a mast and boom of a 42' power boat for a dinghy crane and then used a Quick brand 4 button wireless remote to opperate it. 

My suggestion is to stay away from the low budget options for remotes.  When spec'ing out the above installation, I found a ton of low cost non marinized options, but none looked as though they would survive in the use case I had.  The Quick unit I installed had a floating remote with a nifty zip up lanyard to help avoid testing its ability to float!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Guys : Thanks, How would I have ever guessed that remotes are coded and there is a transmitter and a receiver that are dedicated to each other!!!!!???? 

Thanks, again  :shock:
Ron, Apache #788