Securing winter cover while in slip

Previous topic - Next topic

wingman

I inherited a nice winter cover from the PO for when the boat is on the hard (see pic).

Planning to keep the boat in the slip this winter. I've got ablative paint and would like to try and get another year out of it and I think the constant rubbing of the lines around the hull would probably wear it off.

Anyone with similar cover found a good way to secure it without the lines around the hull? I've of course seen all kinds of weights but have always wondered how well they work in a good wind.

The cover can be secured at the bow and stern without looping around the hull and I count seven grommets on each side that I could hang a gallon milk jug full of water. So 7 pounds each for a total of 49 pounds on each side. Doesn't seem like much weight.

Thoughts?

(My next post will be about de-icers :D)
2000 MkII, wing keel, #1471

Jim Hardesty

If you post your home port you will get a much better answer.  A lot different if the boat is in the Chesapeake vrs Lake Superior or Maine.
Just trying to help,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Wing : I've seen a boat in the slip covered with your type of cover that used small sand bags to weight down the cover skirt.  I'd first make sure that the shirt is long enough to go below the rub-rail so it would act as a buffer (Stand off) from the hull.

a few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

wingman

Jim, home port is mid-Chesapeake on Herring Bay.

Ron, the cover goes over the rub rail (wasn't installed properly in photo).

I guess my real question is how much weight is needed to keep the cover from blowing away and if there are any other considerations I need to think about.
2000 MkII, wing keel, #1471

Ron Hill

Wing : That is a problematical question that depends on how many bags you attach!   On land I use 1/2 Gal milk bottles (approx 5/6 lbs ea) about 3 ft apart.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ed Shankle

I don't think the type of cover influences the tie down unless it completely envelopes the hull. Otherwise there will always be contact between the hull and tie downs if you don't offset them like you propose. I've had homemade covers of varying coverage as well as my current Fairclough, both tied down across the hull, and have always had ablative paint. No lose of paint. Maybe some light scuffing but nothing that impacted the paint. For my homemade covers I used clothesline cotton line. My Fairclough came with nylon lines. No difference. I would be more concerned with the cover grommets scratching the hull. Be sure to have some backing on them.
Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Ron Hill

All : I have tie down nylon loops instead of metal grommets.  That way the cover hangs straight down and nothing touches the hull below the rub-rail!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

mregan

I have a similar cover but mine is above the rub rail.  I tie down the bow and stern.  Hang 4 gallon jugs off each side. 

Tie off the bow to the anchor cleat.
Hang 1 gallon off each side halfway between the bow and 1st standing rigging.
2nd gallon somewhere between the standing rigging.
I'll also take a bungy cord and go through 1-2 grommets mid ships and tie them off to the lifeline stanchions
When I get to the cockpit I hang 2 gallon jugs each side at the start and end of the cockpit
Stern gets tied off on the stern pulpit.

I'm in New England.  Been doing this for the last 9 years.  Never had an issue.  Been on the boat in February, working, during  strong blow and the cover barely lifts.  The gallon jugs really hold it down.