Marine electronics courses?

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_in_lex

Any suggestions for online or virtual courses in marine electronics?  Ideally, I'm looking for something more interactive than a book.  The last time I learned anything new about electricity was in high school, which was a very long time ago, and I figure it would be a good winter project.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Ron Hill

Steve  & All : We have scheduled many of our Fleet 12 meetings and invited the old Boat U S or West Marine store people to be a "guest speaker" at our meetings and talk about a number of items i.e. - Bottom paint, electronics, outboards, dinks, etc at our meetings.   These marine stores are happy for the exposure and usually will kick in a door prize or two!!  We have even invited marina mechanics to talk about engines!!   

The girls get bored  :cry4`, but the guys love it!! :thumb:  A few thoughts   

Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Steve_in_lex on August 23, 2021, 02:24:43 PM
Any suggestions for online or virtual courses in marine electronics?  Ideally, I'm looking for something more interactive than a book.  The last time I learned anything new about electricity was in high school, which was a very long time ago, and I figure it would be a good winter project.

Steve,

Not sure what it is you are asking about.

Electronics or electrical?

In my mind they're two separate things:

Electronics would be instruments - chartplotters, AIS, depth and speed and wind

Electrical would be power, batteries, switching, alternators, solar, etc.

The answers I could provide would be vastly different.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve_in_lex

Stu,

I'm thinking the latter, electrical: power, batteries, switching, alternators, solar, etc.
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Stu Jackson

You could start with the Electrical Systems 101 topic.  :D  And Maine Sail's marinehowto.com.

I haven't come across any believable videos of this complicated subject, which in my mind REQUIRES text and wiring diagrams to be able to understand and absorb.

If anyone does, I'd love to hear about it/them.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Dave Spencer

Jeff Cote at Pacific Yacht Systems has an excellent series of videos and blogs on marine electrical systems. There is everything there from 5 minute videos to 70 minute+ extended seminars. Lots of diagrams. Jeff is an engineer and his love for marine electrical systems is obvious in his presentation material. He also has a fairly popular YouTube channel.
https://www.pysystems.ca/
It's a good place to start.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Steve_in_lex

Thanks folks.  I'll check all of these out.
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Steve_in_lex

Thanks a lot Noah, these are great: they start at the very beginning.  I wasn't aware of Distant Shores videos.  What a goldmine!  They'll get me through the winter.
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"