double checking lay up to do list and misc thoughts

Previous topic - Next topic

captran

Hi All,
Well, another year in the log book.  Since Canada was closed we again only went out for 6 weeks, and find we're enjoying staying put longer, and this year the weather was downright amazingly dry in the PNW.  At any rate, laying up Voyager on the hard.  First is fresh oil change and filter.   I'm not sure who I heard it from from 4 or 5 years ago someone suggested running a mix of fresh water with some SALT AWAY before I do the final step of running a gallon of RV Antifreeze through the engine.  Anyone else doing this in a northern climate area?  The reason I ask is my yard is now clamping down on any owner work, forbidding just about everything, from changing your own zinc to even putting cleaner wax on the boot stripe!  When I run the Salt Away, it leaves a bit of foam on the ground that takes a while to dissipate , so next year not even sure I can barely get away with running the engine after layup with the bit of RV AntiFreeze.  so, is the Salt away even necessary and or helpful?  I can do my annual Pencil zinc while in the water by just closing the through hull and draining out the water from the heat exchanger, so think I can at least do that myself before coming in.  Won't have a choice on the shaft zinc and will have to pay the hourly rate plus their zinc I'm sure.  I also run RV Antifreeze through the fresh water system, as well as putting a little in the head.  On spring commissioning I collect as much as the pump will deliver to reuse, mixing old with new, since it's occasionally freezing, but not like super cold in many areas.  I also disconnect the negative battery cables and secure.  I found if I leave the battery charger on, even though it's only a trickle, I'd need to drive 350 miles 2 or 3 times a year to check the fluid level, and even then, it was still decreasing the years I get out of the batteries. (I replaced the current Trojan T 105's in 2016 and even this year all cells tested 13 with the hydrometer and can go over 3 1/2 days before I am down 80 amp hours (with plenty of ice, and icy cold beer and frozen meats).  Everything else gets washed, cleaned, waxed, checked and accessible electrical connections sprayed with Boshield.  One thing I did stop doing was filling the transmission all the way to the top.  Usually we're in storage 10 months one on board discussion talked about doing that when stored for a full year.  The transmission is never a problem, running well, lubricated, and rarely needs a drop of fluid to stay full.  This year running the motor a total of 93 hours and every week checked it and always full.  last year needed a tea spoon.  am I missing anything
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

KWKloeber

@CR

Added a teaspoon?  When?  Tranny fluid should be changed annually or more often depending on hours.  Why did you stop filling it all the way?

You're not running pink stuff thru the engine, only the seawater path.  I can't say about Salt Away, I'm in freshwater.

See RC's article on his test of winter battery storage - there is close to zero V loss!

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

[edited]

Randy

I had always filled it when laying up, but I don't "winter" anymore. YBYC
It's ezy-peazy to get it at the correct level, using a battery filler.
https://groups.io/g/Catalina30/wiki/11617

More info
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9554.msg72003.html#msg72003

Here's RC's article.  Very interesting, after I saw that I never lugged a btty off the boat. It's on his old site.
https://pbase.com/mainecruising/self_discharge

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ron Hill

Randy : I'd do the "salt-a-way"/fresh water in the travel lift slip/last running of the engine in the water.  Then do the gal. of anti freeze (the 40 below stuff) on the jack stands after the yard has shut down for the day!!   I even drain the HX of all fluid.  The muffler should be OK!

Then fill the Xmission all the way to the top (then drain it all out in the spring) and refill to the correct amount.  I usually take out the impeller (and let it rest for the winter) and turn it around for the next year in the spring.  I spray it with silicone in a cup under the engine.

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Randy

I think the prime reason for removing was to avoid self-discharge, possibly low enough to freeze (Buffalo!)
I always did -- but then realize that cooler temp is better because it LOWERS the self-discharge.
It was a conspiracy from those battery tender folks who say you need to leave a wet cell on a float charge to keep it up to par.  B.S.

It's recommended to remove the impeller at lay up.  You don't want it creating a "set" on the fins -- that's a very TIGHT bend on them, setting/sitting for along time, dry, no movement.  Ron's ides is best -- reverse it next install
(or just replace it -- and keep the most recent old one for your emergency (2nd spare.))   I figure that $50/yr for a new impeller is pretty cheap insurance in the big picture of things.

Ron Hill

Randy : On your "Salt Away".  When I leave the boat after each trip I stick the raw water intake hose into a bucket (couple of gallons) of fresh water and run it thru the engine.  That way when it just sits there it has Fresh Water in the HX cooling system.  Only takes a few minutes!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

captran

Thanks Ron.  We just use Voyager during the summer full time, so once it's laid up, no other trips, which is why e use the antifreeze in the PNW.  It can freeze occasionally in Anacortes , but not like New York cold, and after our first year back, we had a broken heat exchanger, which is when we started using the RV fluid.  That' a great idea for intermittent use.  If we ever decide to stay in the water, I will do that.

Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa