Cowl Vents

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Rodney : Do a search on our information center. 
Within the past few months one of our guys put on some beautiful stainless vents and posted it on the message board.  His post has pictures and all of the other information.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Todd Reese

I had replaced my cowl vents with the Nicro 2000 plus solar vent. Couldn't be happier. It actually fit pretty well the where the cowls go, with very little overhang. Its not as high profile as the cowls, and my sheets don't come anywhere near popping them off as might happen with a cowl. And these will give 24/7 ventilation.
Todd & Joni Reese
s/v Eroica II
St. Petersburg, FL

Rick Johnson

Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ken Juul

here's a recent thread about using Krylon paint to refinish the cowl vents.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3439.0
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Here's one link from a search on the word "vents" -- http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3217.0
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ed Shankle

I expect to replace my vents this season, but I haven't seen any that match the dimensions on my current vents. Maybe I'm measuring the wrong aspect.
The scoop base, which is held down by a screwed in retaining ring, measures 3 3/4" ID and 4 3/4" OD. Neither the Vetus nor Nicro specify these dimensions, so I figure I'm either measuring the wrong aspect or I've got a "renegade" piece of equipment!
Any clarification would be welcome.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Stu Jackson

Ed, does that include the catalog cut of the Vetus on page 1 of this thread? See reply #14
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ed Shankle

Stu,
That's what made me think I'm measuring the wrong point. The diagram you provided references dimensions of the box, but I didn't see a dimension for the base of the flexible scoop.
As you know, I've got an 89, and the posts indicate that should be a Nicro. I just wanted to verify the scoop base dimension before ordering a set.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Susan Ray

I have a '87 and took off the cowls and dorads and found these mushrooms underneath. So I just filled the holes with screws and left them off. They look okay and don't get in the way of anyone. Also the cowls were cracking and cost too much to replace. Anyone want cowls and dorades?
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

Vic Suben

My boat is a 1987 C-34, hull no. 453.  This past summer I lost a cowl vent during an inadvertent gybe.  I have ordered a replacement from Catalina Direct that has not yet arrived.  Does anyone know if there is a direct replacement for the original vent?  If so, where can I get one?

Thanks,

Vic Suben
Surprise
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

Ron Hill

Vic : The direct replacement is from Vetus.  Go on line and look for the 4" replacement - think it's called a "Jerry".    :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

John Gardner

I've had good success spraying my Vetus plastic ones with an aerosol can of Vinyl and fabric paint - intended for car seats and the like.  Did them two years ago and it is holding up well.
John Gardner, "Seventh Heaven" 1988 #695, Severn River, Chesapeake Bay.

Todd Reese

Just a quick note. I replaced my Cowls with the Nicro Solar vents (I believe it to be the 2000 series stainless) and they work great. As far as the water intrusion "not a problem" unless you may be running a power sprayer. You also have the ability of closing them down without removing them. They work day and night. They do better for circulation then the cowls. I have three on the boat and use one as exaust to keep the circulation through the boat.
Todd & Joni Reese
s/v Eroica II
St. Petersburg, FL

sailingdream

Does anyone have a vent they want to unload since I ended up kicking my loose one for my C34 '90 into the drink the other day. DARN.

The idea of the solar powered vents look like a good idea, but until I can do that I need to replace the missing one.

Thanks.

Ron Hill

Sail : Your dorade vents are 3" Nicro.  Not Vetus.  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788