Cowl Vents

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodney

The paint on my plastic cowl vents is again starting to look crappy just a year after I last painted them. Recently I've been casting an eye towards getting metal chrome vents (thinking, gosh I won't have to paint them no more and wouldn't they look just plain spiffy). A friend of mine advises towards the higher profile vents, though he also advises that one of the problems with metal vents is that if you  fall on one, unlike plastic vents, they..uh..hurt. Is this a question of form over function? Any opinions out there?

dave davis

Those vents can look awful. I bought new ones and they still got that awful look. Another problem is they stick up so much I lost two because they got caught in the jib sheets during a tack. Then I saw a C34 with nice looking stainless steel low profile vents and I asked "where did you get those beautiful looking, low profile Stailess vents ?" His answer was simple. Just remove the dirty air scoop, remove the cone shape plastic riser, and WHALA, you are left with what you see. How about that, you now have a much nicer looking Stailess air vent that can not get caught by whipping jib sheets and is still quite funtional. Screw it down to make it air and water tight, screw it up and you got air. Fill the holes with the screws that you removed. Try it, you might like it...
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Rodney

Thanks Ron, yeah my boats an '87 so I'll take a look at the $30 Vetus vents.

(I keep forgetting to tag my boat particulars onto my messages, so I dropped them into my sig line so I don't have to remember in the future.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ron Hill:
                                                  Rodney,  You didn't mention the your year C34 or hull #.  The 1986 thru 88 production boats had 4" Vetus durade vents, which can be replaced for about $30 each.  The 1989 and later boats have a 3" durade made by Nicro, which are a little cheaper.  If you're a BoatUS member, call special order and they can get them for you at a slightly cheaper BoatUS discount.   APACHE  #788 ;)

ronphylhill@erols.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Tranquility  '87 Hull # 290
San Diego

mhazlett

Rodney-- I wrote a couple years ago to the list about replacing the 4" cowls through Vetus in Baltimore (I have a 1988 C34). The cost was about the same then ($30)but shipping was not cheap. I have had several more sets since then.  I found the Vetus vents in Hawaii last 8-10 months before they have bad UV damage that cannot be removed. Don't know if they would last much longer in San Diego. Other brands on other boats here seem to last longer but don't come in the the same size.  I have thought about 4" metal cowls (Sailnet had a recent special on them) but worry about falling into them and problems with lines. I just bought the paint last weekend for the vents but it doesn't look like there is any easy answer.
Mark Hazlett

rwilkinsii

Does anyone know the type of cowl vent that goes on the 86 c34? I lost mine over the weekend and need to replace it..

Thanks    :eek:

Rich Wilkins
Houston Tx
86 c34
S/V Lil Tiger
Geaux Tigers!!

Mike Smith

I'm just resigned to buying new ones every two years or so. For me, they are mainly cosmetic since we sail all year and are on the boat so much.  They really don't provide much ventilation compared to running the AC all the time at the dock. I guess you could apply some high SPF sunscreen or other UV protectant to them when you install the new ones.  Same goes for the mainsail cover insignia.

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

ronbuk

I've thought about replacing my cowls with Nicro solar vents. Has anyone done this? Is this a good idea?

mvazmina

I have replaced them with the Nicro solar vent and am very happy. As stated in the earlier posts the Dorades got in the way. This way the vents running all the time and I am able to get ventilation into the cabin while the boat is in the slip. I have had to replace the batterys about every 2-3 years for a nominal cost.

Frank Stich

Mine look awful as well.

Have you had any problems with water leakage through the solar vents and how do you secure them in the event of something like Isabel?

Frank

#927 "Prime Interest"

mvazmina

I may get a few drops in an extremely heavy rain, but they are designed to keep the water out. When we are threatened by a storm I just remeove them. They lift out very easily and come with a cap that fits into the openingand is very snug.

Frank Stich

Sounds like a great solution!  What model solar vent did you install?  I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of "nautical appearance" for decreased maintenance and better ventilation...

Frank

#927 "Prime Interest"

mvazmina

I put the Nicro stainless solar vents on. They ran about $100 each, but I had used the plastic before and after time in the sun they cracked and broke

Frank Stich

Does the stainless model lift out easily and include a cap to seal the opening?

Frank

#927 "Prime Interest"

mvazmina

Yes, they use the same cap as the plastic

Stu Jackson

Here's a catalog cut of the Vetus vents.  I wrote an article about replacements with other types of vents, see Mainsheet, August 2005 issue (http://www.c34.org/mainsheet/pdf/Aug_2005.pdf)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."