Stretching Sailboat Search budget on Catalina34 without engine using an Outboard

Previous topic - Next topic

neverlayup

Stretching my Sailboat Search budget on a Catalina 34 without an engine?

Is it feasible to put a 30HP outboard (20'' Shaft & approx 160lbs ) on the transom?

I will be staying within land on the Long Island Sound. Worried about bracket carrying weight of OB and long term effect on C34 boats structural integrity.

•   Have you ever heard of someone putting an Outboard on a 34 ft sailboat?

•   Or am I crazy????
:shock:

Thank you,
Neverlayup

mdidomenico

just out of morbid curiosity, what would be the point?  there's certainly decent enough replacement engines on the used market if cost is a concern.

as for fit, i would doubt.  the transom isn't terribly thick.  i can't imagine it's cost feasible.
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Dave Spencer

Quote from: neverlayup on August 14, 2021, 11:15:25 AM

•   Have you ever heard of someone putting an Outboard on a 34 ft sailboat?

•   Or am I crazy????

The second one.   :abd:
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

scgunner

neverlayup,

This sounds like an extreme case of your boat, your choice. I've seen it done on a C-30, it didn't look like a good idea. The OB was mounted to one of those retractable mounts on the transom. I see a number of problems aside from the actual install, it will make your swim/boarding ladder useless. Next, how are you going to control it? You'll have to bend over the transom to start it, stop it, control the throttle, unless you've got some kind of ungainly cable system in mind.

I have thought about a bracket for my OB that could be attached to the swim platform, but that would be strictly for emergency use only. I'm not sure what your goal is here but you might want to seriously reexamine your options.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

Never : You'd be better off to install an electric motor and more batteries, than screw around with an outboard on the transom!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

Has all the running gear (prop shaft and stuffing box) been removed and sealed or is the current engine package still in place but deemed beyond repair?  It seems to me the cost to buy a suitable outboard, engineer a bracket to carry the weight and develop a remote control and electrical system, might be similar to a used diesel or the cost to fix yours if it is still there. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

frankya

Time to look for a boat you can afford to maintain and operate properly.

dw

Going low budget drop a Atomic 4 in there. Will need to switch out tank or fit one under the aft berth.  Check https://moyermarine.com if you want an education on Atomic 4's.

Kyle Ewing

Interestingly, I recently saw a 60hp outboard on a 45'+ convertible fishing boat.  They used it for trolling at slow speed.

There are a few threads about this at https://www.cruisersforum.com/.  You can find with the search function.  Consensus seems to be it is not a good idea but there may be limited situations to consider it (i.e. to move the boat somewhere to repair or replace the diesel).  Other considerations are engine controls, fuel, reverse, keeping the prop in the water in waves, effectiveness of rudder, aesthetics, etc. 

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

KWKloeber

@Never

About throwing an OB on your boat.  NO COMMENT.

As far as the mount, there wouldn't be an issue if there was a stout backing glassed inside the transom.  No one would wince at a 250 lb-er using a swim ladder, expecting to rip the transom away from the hull.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

LogoFreak

Not crazy, just not very practical. You don't need a 30hp OB either. A Yamaha 15hp high thrust would be more than enough to push that boat at near hull speed. Your problem is going to be the leg popping out of the water under pitching seas, unless you mounted it fairly low to the water. You can buy the outboard with remote control and just lock the steering in a fixed position. Bracket and brand new OB probably won't cost you more than $5,000.
Antoni - Vancouver BC
1992 Catalina 34 Tall rig fin keel mk 1.5 "Polonaise"
Hull number 1179

mark_53

Quote from: LogoFreak on August 22, 2021, 08:15:33 AM
Your problem is going to be the leg popping out of the water under pitching seas, unless you mounted it fairly low to the water.

Good points LZ.  Since the OP has no engine, why not cut a hole between the engine mounts and glass around the engine leg protruding through the bottom!

Noah

MARK—-  :shock:  :abd:
A poor man's sail drive??? I am afraid you would sink rather quickly.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

mark_53

Quote from: Noah on August 22, 2021, 12:12:17 PM
MARK—-  :shock:  :abd:
A poor man's sail drive??? I am afraid you would sink rather quickly.
Or "you know your a redneck when"...
Some say,
"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."