In Boom furling and WinchRite

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

To further drift off course.... There are two mainsail track systems I know of:
Harken's Battcar and Tides Marine system. I have the Tides system and it does make raising and lowering the mainsail easier. In my opinion it would not replace a boom furler or in mast furling —despite Harken's claims. But they are a nice upgrade to a traditional mainsail halyard hoist arrangement.
https://www.harken.com/en/support/faq/battcar-systems-qa/
https://www.tidesmarine.com/
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Good points, Noah.  My PO, bless his little heart, installed a Harken batt car system.  After dealing with slugs on our 22 & 35 since 1983, we were pleasantly surprised by the difference the cars make.  I know why they call 'em "slugs."   :D

I've heard good things about the other system, too.  Even better: haven't heard anything bad.  About either.

My cars do stack up, so the sail cover must be designed or that.  My PO was about 4'-6" and proudly showed me his step stool in the lazarette, which he needed to connect the main halyard shackle to the headboard!  :shock: He included it as part of the deal.  :clap

First thing I did was put in a mast step.   :thumb:  Back when I was young and limber, I could use that one step, loop my leg around the mast, and have both hands free for the sail and shackle.  Now I'm glad he included the step stool!!! :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Fansea

Paul,
The PO bought one (WinchRite) for our Catalina 34 MK2, which has in-mast furling. It works very well and I have used it primarily when single-handing and want to get the sail tightly furled. Its a definite help and has held up well to date.
Fair winds

WBev

Paul, at the 2019 Annapolis Sailboat show I was quoted $15,000 for the in boom furling system.  About half the cost was the boom rig, and the other half was the certified rigging company to install it as required by the manufacturer.  I don't recall whether that price was discounted for the show, but it was half what I paid for the boat after deductions for some stuff needing attention.  When shopping for my C34, the Admiral wanted in mast furling.  Many here can attest the cost of a C34 with that is about twice what I paid for my 1992. 

(Being a bit behind you on the age curve, I opted for the stack pack style sail cover, new lazy jacks and the strong track.)
Wobegon II
1992 C-34 MK 1.5
#1211,  Wing/Tall Rig
Universal M35
Magothy River, MD

KeelsonGraham

We have the Leisurefurl system on our C34. This is an extremely well engineered piece of kit.

The electric winch is mounted on the port side of the coach roof. The mechanicals are covered by a generously padded box in the head. This has no impact on using the bathroom.

It's a super easy system to use, requiring absolutely no physical effort, so its an ideal way of extending your sailing time on your existing boat.

It's not cheap, but then again dying rich is pointless!
2006 Catalina 34 Mk II. Hull No:1752. Engine: M35 BC.

pablosgirl

Paul,

We have a WinchRite.  We bought it so Cyndi could haul me up the mast and use it for Genoa sheeting.  Good product with long battery life.  But you should consider the physics of using it.  You trade off doing "grinding " work (using a winch handle) versus holding the thing stationary while you hold the button.  So it is a good replacement if you have a shoulder issue but not as work free as a power winch.  I too go to the mast to raise the main halyard.  I find it is easier than at the winch in the cockpit (you remove the friction of all those turning blocks ). Have you considered adding lazy jacks or a stack pack.  Those help with containing the mainsail during up/down ops and can be used with your current mainsail.  You could unzip and attach the halyard at the dock to avoid the deck while out?  I am 61 and hopefully i will be sailing our 34 when I'm in my 80's as your are!
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP