Stabilizing table

Previous topic - Next topic

kerk fisher

From a previous owner we have the wood dining table, cushion, pedestal, and flange that the pedestal sits in. Should we have an additional part that connects the table to the mast for stabilization?  The pedestal is loose in the flange. If such a part exists is it able to be purchased? Thanks kerk. Into the mystic 1990, 1102
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com

Jim Hardesty

Kerk,
It sounds like you have everything.  The table on Shamrock does wobble a bit, I've thought about adding a support to the compression post, but it hasn't bothered me that much. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

My table flanges (caveat, obviously not a 34) have a ring extension round the top that is split in one location with a tightening thumbscrew (more of a Tee hand screw) thru it to tighten the bottom and under-table flanges. It works very well.

I'd think if it bothers one enough a welder could add that to the flanges?  Picture a short (1-1/2"?) length of pipe sitting above the flange, and split (3/4? Inch gap) at one point with short (1"?) tabs perpendicular to the ring that a T-bolt goes thru. One of the tabs either threaded or has a nut welded on. The T bolt has is smooth except for the tip that is threaded. The shank has a shoulder that hits against one flange and the smaller diameter passes thru and the tip is where it threads into the other tab.

Excuse the poor artistry on my phone.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Quote from: kerk fisher on August 12, 2021, 05:36:18 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Should we have an additional part that connects the table to the mast for stabilization?  ... If such a part exists is it able to be purchased?

Nothing like this exists OEM.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Hardesty

My table.
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Kirk : The original MK 1 dinette table had only the parts that you have.  There should be the center tube with a flat bracket (4 arms) attached for 4 screws that screw into the underside table bottom to secure the bracket to the table top!! 

BTW, for all you answering that do not have a MK 1 tabletop - the table top has a built in notch to fit around the Mast!!  There are also fiddles fastened to the starboard settee (under the cushion height - so when the table is down and turned into a bunk the table top sits on those fiddles for support!!!

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Admiral_Swellson

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on August 12, 2021, 02:04:36 PM
My table.

I have the exact same setup, except yours looks "welded" at the bottom?  Mine is just inserted, "compression fit" I guess.  The table is pretty wobbly and can't take much elbow weight.

Noah

My table base (OEM, I believe) is made by Zwaardvis, a well-respected European brand that is still made. It is very stable.
http://www.piersupply.com/Category/Seating_Table_Systems
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig