Stuffing Box Wear

Previous topic - Next topic

leigh234

I was checking my stuffing box on my 1997 Catalina 34 mk2 because it is dripping once every few seconds. I noticed that there is a collection or buildup up of fine bronze dust under the box. The particles look to be coming in with the water drips.
Clearly there is some sort of abrasive wear.
Has anyone experienced this problem?

Stu Jackson

Quote from: leigh234 on August 10, 2021, 04:58:25 AM

Clearly there is some sort of abrasive wear.

Not necessarily.

The box often gets a sheen of patina from being in that environment.  It could well be that what you are seeing is simply detritus from the outside of the box coming down with the drips.

When was the last time you serviced the inside of the box?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

leigh234

Imagine you were to file a piece of bronze.
The little pile of filings is what this looks like.

Ron Hill

Lei : Do you have a bronze or stainless drive shaft?  Stu asked "When did you service the inside of the stuffing box last?"

Guess the next question is "does everything look as though it's in alignment?"  Can you physically see miss alignment of the shaft coming out of the stuffing box nut - you might have to back off the lock nut to see this.

A few thoughts 
Ron, Apache #788

leigh234

Stainless shaft.
I will check alignment and repack the box.

Jim Hardesty

QuoteWhen was the last time you serviced the inside of the box?

Think that's the only way to know.  I would also look closely at the coupling and shaft.  Is the shaft tight into the coupling?  If that is moving that may produce some thing like you describe.  I like and do Ron's suggestion of using witness marks in that area to eye ball any movement.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

leigh234

Sorry this is a bronze shaft, not stainless.
Could be shaft wear. Will check this afternoon.

waughoo

If you indeed have a bronze shaft this is likely the source of the shavings.  Has it been too tight in the past?  Also an out of alignment could be a source for contact.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Lei : I believe that Alex "hit nail on head"!!  My guess is that your shaft is out of alignment!!

Loosen the lock nut and see if the shaft is in the center of the packing gland - I'll guess NO!! and you may even see some wear on the shaft?!

You might have to also loosen the shaft from the transmission attaching bracket so you can (maybe) slide the drive shaft FWD. 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788