Replacing all the Sanitary hoses

Previous topic - Next topic

Lexatola

All of the sanitation hoses on our newly purchased '86 appear to be original and seem to stink pretty badly.  Looks like a reasonably gross job.  Curious from those who have done it - How many hours might this take?  Seems like access, hygiene, and difficult to manhandle hosing could make a pretty simple remove and replace job take a while.  Love to hear thoughts from anyone who has done it.

Thanks so much,

Alex
Sea Glass #126
1986 MK1 Std Rig
Kingston, WA

Jim Hardesty

Alex,
Replaced them on my MKll a few seasons ago.  I pumped vinegar from the bowl, let sit, and flushed, flushed and flushed at the pump out.  Wasn't that bad of a job.  Used a coupling from old hose to new hose to feed thru.  As I remember the most difficult part was getting the new hose over the hose barbs, tried putting the end in hot water but ended up using a heat gun.  Took 2 or 3 hours, did the pump out the day before.
It helps to add boat information to your signature. See what others have done.  It helps getting the best answer.  I'm sure that changing hoses on a MKl is a bit different.
Hope your project is clean and smooth.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

Toughest part of the job on the MKI, is the tight clearance to change the hose attached to the macerator pump. I also cast a vote for using a heat gun on all hose barb connections.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Lexatola

So 2-3 hours including - Vent hose from tank, waste outlet to deck, waste outlet to macerator, macerator to through hull, head to tank?  Were you able to do all of those in that time?  Do we think the MK1 would be similar?

I've attached the head plumbing diagram for handy reference.

Thanks,

Alex
Sea Glass #126
1986 MK1 Std Rig
Kingston, WA

Noah

Depends how speedy you are, how messy the plumbing is and if you have to make runs to the store. I would figure this to be your project for that day.  Might as well swap out your hose clamps for the "good ones" at the same time.
Standard Rig

ewengstrom

Hopefully your macerator still works as the hardest hose may be the most obvious, the hose from the tank to the macerator. As has been said before, you'll want to thoroughly flush the whole system, for me that was no less than three times. If your macerator pump works I'd suggest running it after the last flush as that will help clear the line of stuff you really...and I mean REALLY don't want to see. Pumping the holding tank out thru the deck fitting will not clear this particular hose.
Either way I would also suggest lining the area below the macerator hose with plastic and wear long gloves at a minimum. Our macerator was completely rotted and non functional when we bought the boat and one of the first chores was to replace all the sanitary hoses. We had to cut the line between the macerator and holding tank and it simply wasn't a pleasant experience.
This job will take a few hours and having done it I feel comfortable saying the whole thing can be done in a day....but don't hurry....this is one job were if you say "oooops"....you'll probably clear the boat out instantly and possibly everyone else within a 50 foot radius.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Jim Hardesty

Alex,
I'm in the Great Lakes, Shamrock has always been there, macerator sits on a shelf in my basement.  So my 2 to 3 hours may be a little short.  I agree, plan on an all day job.  Would not want to break down this job to multiple days.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Ed Shankle

A few comments on installation which I did this spring;
1. After leaving the hoses in the sun to soften, I swabbed the inside of the hoses with Lanocote to help slip them over the fittings.
2. Measure the length of the fittings and mark that off on the hose. It will insure you set the hose clamps correctly.
3. Use the good clamps as already suggested
4. Install the lowest hoses first and work up so that you have sufficient room to install and clamp the hoses.
5. Disconnect the mascerator and detach it from the sidewall. It's easier to attach the new hose, get the right angle and get full slip on to the fittings.
6. It's easier to fish the toilet hose though from the head to the tank, rather than the reverse, as you can reach under floor liner to grab it and pull thru the final few feet.
7. Don't forget to replace the vent hose too
8. Use plumbers putty to seal the screw on fittings on the mascerator and vent tank top.
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Jon W

I was lucky my PO replaced most of the sanitary hoses. I wasn't lucky that the macerator pump failed at the studs holding the pump/motor to the hose adaptor. Since you're going to be replacing all the hoses, now is a good time to look at the bolts/studs that are holding the pump/motor to the hose adaptor. Make sure they are SST and not brass or whatever yellow metal was used once upon a time because they will fail.

Since I had to drain and open up this system, I took this opportunity to relocate the macerator pump/motor higher so that if I needed to remove it for some reason, "effluent" loss would be minimal :shock:.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

BJeansson

An additional comment/question to the topic of odor due to hoses.
When talking to a my neighbor at the dock regarding holding tank and related hoses, I was given the advise to add a second vent hose on the holding tank to reduce the holding tank odor.

Is there anyone who has done that on a 34 if so where have you placed the additional vent on the hull.
We currently have a functioning Stantion vent connected to the holding tank.

I am planning on exchanging the holding tank and hoses while on the hard so this post is very relevant.

Any input would be appreciated.

Bo Jeansson
#1024 MK1.25 1990 WK M35
Rock Hall, MD
Bo Jeansson
1990 MK 1.25 #1024 TR/WK M35
Rock Hall, MD

Noah

Many folks have. Lots written on this website. Search and you shall find.
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

I've been using a holding tank treatment that Peggy Hull suggested for the last two seasons.  Claims it liquifies and increases oxygen.  So far has worked good and no odor, no smell at all.  I still have the OEM holding tank vent.  In the Great Lakes so always use holding tank.  I buy it at Amazon.  Used to use Odorlos may cost a little more.

Zaal NoFlex Digestor Boat and RV Sewage

Also at Amazon, Peggy Hull, "The Head Mistress"  her excellent book on all boat things smelly.

The New Get Rid of Boat Odors: A Boat Owner's Guide to Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor Paperback

This is not intended to be an Amazon ad.  Just where I got them.
Jim

Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: BJeansson on August 10, 2021, 06:21:28 PM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Is there anyone who has done that on a 34 if so where have you placed the additional vent on the hull.

Of course, from the 101 Topics:

Second Holding Tank Vent
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6861.15.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waughoo

BIG vote for raritan saniflex.  It is so much easier to work with than the white pvc stuff.  It also has Peggy Hall's vote for odor permiation prevention.  I used this stuff when I replaced my Jabsco head with a Raritan super flush household bowl.  Check it out...

https://www.raritaneng.com/en_US/products/saniflex
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Guys : A must "Have Tool" on board a C34 for changing /replacing ANY barb fitting hoses is a  HEAT GUN !!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788