Broken anemometer fin

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

Hi all
I plan to call Raymarine to find out about a replacement. But thought I'd reach out to you all since maybe someone had to find a similar replacement. The fin that provides the wind direction apparently has broken off. Probably the plastic became brittle over time. It's 20 years old so it's no surprise. My wind instrument is an ST60. Vintage year 2000. Any tips or concerns would be appreciated.
Thanks
Roc.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

lazybone

I'm baffled by why it's seems to be imperative to know what the wind speed is?
Please explain
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

Caio : I've been answering C34 Questions for over 30 years.  You however, have come up with a question that is so "baffling" that I cannot reasonably respond!!!!   :shock:

My thought
Ron, Apache #788

lazybone

The first time you haven't had a thought. :D
Milestones

And since you threw your credentials down on the table...
I've been here for 32
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Jim Hardesty

Roc,
Same thing happened to mine a couple of seasons ago.  I bought a kit that included the cups and the vane.  I made two trips up the mast.  First up the mast to remove the instrument arm, only a screw on coupling.  Installed the kit on deck.  Then up again to reinstall. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 06, 2021, 02:40:23 PM

Caio : I've been answering C34 Questions for over 30 years.  You however, have come up with a question that is so "baffling" that I cannot reasonably respond!!!!   :shock:

My thought

And the original question was re: wind direction anyway.  What sailor would need that piece of info either?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

WBev

I can't say I have been here long, or even sailed for many years.  I find the "windicator" helpful to improve my skills, and even more so, my Admiral uses it when at the helm so we can keep moving while I am doing something else, like eating, using the head, checking things, etc.  Without it, we seem to have a luff problem... I know, novices.

I have just replaced my pre-Raymarine TakTik wireless battery/solar panel for the second time, as the wires had fallen off the board the first time without me realizing it.  The fix you need to do is very easy, as has been described.  There is a youtube video by a well respected cruiser showing the replacement procedure of the cups, etc.  I found it helpful as he also replaced his battery.   The video was by the late Patrick Childress/Sailing Brickhouse.  His videos were often spot on, and very helpful for many tasks onboard.  Unfortunately, he passed due to Covid last year.

As to the wireless, well the thing is toast again.  So, I will be buying a new one so we can see wind speed and direction where we fail to fully appreciate all the readily identifiable clues to this information everyone else seems so adept at seeing.... :D
Good luck.
Wobegon II
1992 C-34 MK 1.5
#1211,  Wing/Tall Rig
Universal M35
Magothy River, MD

Roc

Thanks Jim. I did some searching and found the rebuild kit.  Defender sells it and it's not way too expensive. It says it will fit the ST60. Probably the same kit you bought.
Up the mast I go!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ed Shankle

One thing to watch out for; a few years back, mine didn't make it through the winter and I needed to replace it. Got it from Raymarine since I have ST60 instruments. But I couldn't screw the new unit onto its base on the mast head! Since I was up the aft end of the mast I didn't have a clear view. Had a yard guy check it out and it turns out the outer diameter of the collar that screws onto the base was larger that the original and was hitting the masthead top. Solution was to grind a few millimeters off the collar all around. Then it screwed on with no problem. So you may want to check that dimension to save a few extra trips up the mast.

Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

frankya

Why would a sailor want to know wind direction and speed? The little numbers and letters tell you if the pole is going to be NEAR the water or IN the water, when you set the chute.
That way you can give the unluck down below heating the chili warning that the wall is about to become the ceiling.