Replacement stainless steel fuel cap

Previous topic - Next topic

pbyrne

Lost my diesel fuel cap overboard while refilling.

Need a replacement.  They are the stainless steel type.

Any suggestions where to get them? Catalina Direct doesn't seem to have a match.  Saw this on Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000XBMAOA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_G1QTDZTRCEQME4E1RAFP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

Oldlaxer1

John Novotny
1987 C34 #298

pbyrne

Saw those.  However, I have the 2 prong style and CD mentions those are only a direct replacement for the plastic types due to thread pitch.

Noah

I would see if any of your other fill caps will fit. If they do, take that cap to a Chandlery and match the size/thread to a new cap. If you find one that fits and they won't sell just the cap aline, you may have to buy the whole fill pipe/cap set and toss the pipe.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: pbyrne on August 02, 2021, 10:55:46 AM

Saw those.  However, I have the 2 prong style and CD mentions those are only a direct replacement for the plastic types due to thread pitch.

Is it the full-cover type (CD type) or the insert type (sits inside, not covering the whole flange?)  A picture of the flange or similar fill cap?
It might be an Attwood or SeaChoice or SeaDog size/thread pitch.

If you have another similar fill, measure the pitch and diameter.  My "insert" type caps are Perko and the same as 1-1/2" NTP thread.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

pby : If you fail to find a SS cap that fits, just go ahead and change out the the entire fuel fill to a new one that has a chain that attaches to the cap!! 

It's not that difficult on a MK I C34, but on a MK II you might have to remove the aft cabin post side panel.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

pbyrne

Is it the full-cover type (CD type) or the insert type (sits inside, not covering the whole flange?)  A picture of the flange or similar fill cap?
It might be an Attwood or SeaChoice or SeaDog size/thread pitch.

If you have another similar fill, measure the pitch and diameter.  My "insert" type caps are Perko and the same as 1-1/2" NTP thread.
[/quote]

Looks identical to this.  The screw fell out of the retaining clip, and of course, before I can get a new screw the cap goes over board...

https://www.thechandleryonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=4723

pbyrne

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 02, 2021, 02:13:29 PM
pby : If you fail to find a SS cap that fits, just go ahead and change out the the entire fuel fill to a new one that has a chain that attaches to the cap!! 

It's not that difficult on a MK I C34, but on a MK II you might have to remove the aft cabin post side panel.

A thought

It might come to that! :)  I've had the panel off before so I believe the access is good.

KWKloeber

Quote from: pbyrne on August 03, 2021, 05:32:07 AM

Looks identical to this. 

https://www.thechandleryonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=4723

OK, that's the insert type -- same as mine.  They sure look like the Perko, but mine are black plastic not stainless.
Is it 1-1/4 NPT? (I THOUGHT mine are 1-1/2" NPT but maybe I'm mistaken.)

Measure what thread they are to narrow it down -- Perko and Whitecap and Seadog and Attwood all look similar but I believe some are 1-1/4 vs 1-1/2".
No sense guessing which to buy.  worst marine, ebay, scamazon all have them -- once you decide on the size.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Stu Jackson

Doesn't the link say this?

Stainless steel deck fill marked for gas. Uses 1-1/2" hose, 1-1/4"NPT CAP.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: Stu Jackson on August 03, 2021, 08:34:40 PM

Stu
Yep, but he said:  "it LOOKS identical."  Not, "it has the same thread as mine."

Spoiler alert  :shock: These four caps LOOK like his (and mine) but they have four DIFFERENT threads. 

I'd have to think it makes sense to measure rather than guess from a picture :cry4`
but as always, his boat his choice.

pbyrne

Quote from: KWKloeber on August 03, 2021, 09:26:19 PM
Quote from: Stu Jackson on August 03, 2021, 08:34:40 PM

Stu
Yep, but he said:  "it LOOKS identical."  Not, "it has the same thread as mine."

Spoiler alert  :shock: These four caps LOOK like his (and mine) but they have four DIFFERENT threads. 

I'd have to think it makes sense to measure rather than guess from a picture :cry4`
but as always, his boat his choice.

The local chandlery has something I can at least compare.  I'll pull one from the water tanks, which I know are the same as I checked, and match it up.  If that doesn't work I'll use a more science based approach and measure it! :)

KWKloeber

PB

You could alternately take one to a big box and see which female threaded pipe fitting it screws into.  Or vice versa, buy 1-1/2 and 1-1/4 male fittings and see which fits the deck fitting.  The other common sizes are 1-7/8" and metric, but I'd think those are way outside chances.
Good luck!  Let us know.

pbyrne

Quote from: KWKloeber on August 04, 2021, 08:17:33 AM
PB

You could alternately take one to a big box and see which female threaded pipe fitting it screws into.  Or vice versa, buy 1-1/2 and 1-1/4 male fittings and see which fits the deck fitting.  The other common sizes are 1-7/8" and metric, but I'd think those are way outside chances.
Good luck!  Let us know.

Great suggestion! Thanks!

mdidomenico

i remembered i had this in the garage, it came of my Mk1 when i pulled all the deck fills (i think, or it might have been in a spare parts box from the PO).  if it fits, you're welcome to it
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp