Getting ready for my longest trip, any advice

Previous topic - Next topic

WTunnessen

Even though you plan to get dinners out, bring a few back up dinner stuff just in case. You can always pre-freeze things, keep them frozen, and thaw if needed. Get an early start if you're sailing in the summer.  Herring bay to Solomons and Solomons across the Potomac are stretches where there are few options for ducking out of T-storms, so plan those sections  with weather in mind.  It's a fun trip and you will get see how the bay changes as you head south.
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

Oldlaxer1

What is the longest distance you guys and gals typically float plan for in a day?  We're in Baltimore Harbor and want to do a 4 or 5 day trip. Typically we do home to Rock Hall, to St. Michaels, to Rhode River, to Magothy, to home but this year we're thinking of changing it up a bit and trying to get to Oxford instead.  6 hours at 5 knots average gives us a few options.  I'm just curious how long of a day you typically plan.
John Novotny
1987 C34 #298

glennd3

I am planning day 1 Rock Creek to Kent Narrows, day 2 to Oxford, day 3 to Solomons. After that we will see.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Jim Hardesty

QuoteWhat is the longest distance you guys and gals typically float plan for in a day?

Depends what you are comfortable with.  If you're good with doing an overnighter 100+ miles is very doable and for me enjoyable.  To quote The Beach Boys "we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow".
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

glennd3

Thanks to everyone who responded. I am shoving off in the AM. I will try to post pictures/videos along the way. Miss the Admiral's help with provisioning as she went to the ocean with her side of the family.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Ron Hill

Glenn : I know this is late and you're already underway, but if you shorten day 2 instead of Oxford and go to Knapps Narrows, you'll have a much shorter day to Solomon's.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Guys : Some of you are tougher that I, because we never tried to go more than 50 nm and 35 nm/day is ideal for us!!

We like to get underway by 09:00 and be anchored by 17:00.  We're retired and sail is our fun hobby!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

glennd3

Made it to Kent Narrows easy enough . Ron I agree with staying at Knapps would be quicker however the Marina in Oxford has the best bathrooms on the bay and has become a topic of many discussions with my local cruising club. I will post pictures.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Ron Hill

Glenn : Knapps Narrows Marina has good bathrooms and great eating there or across the bridge!!  About a 4-5kt current to dock!!!(will get your attention) nice facilities.

As I recall Oxford had nice laundry facilities, but the grocery store was somewhat iffy!!  However, it's your trip and your choice!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

glennd3

Made it in and out of Oxford easily. Had I nice 10 mile sail out of the Choptank and across the bay. We then turned south and we were doing fine, then the wind changed and we had a  steady 15 gusting to 20 on the nose for 20 miles, took 6 hours. We were beat up a little by the time we reached Solomon's Island. We stayed an extra day there in the pool. Temp hit 96. We are going south early tomorrow.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

97, ouch! I figured out your preference for marinas over anchoring—you can run your A/C!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

Keep the dispatches coming.  I am vicariously enjoying your trip.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

glennd3

made it to the final destination south, Norfolk. We have spent an extra day here because we picked up another crew member that came down by train today. We are expecting to leave early tomorrow, depends on weather. Boat has been performing well. now with 3 guys on board we are using all births. yes we are marina hopping but the temps are dictating this. drinking lots off water. some pictures of crew and video of getting a little beat up
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

At least you are getting lots of practice docking in different slips and conditions.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Lookin' really hard to be having so much fun.  Good on ya!   :clap
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."