Mk 1.5 aft cabin trap door to lazzerette?

Previous topic - Next topic

waughoo

So I have a 91 mk 1.5 and the aft cabin has a trap door in it to the port lazzerette.  It appears to be well crafted with a king starboard panel that is trimmed with teak.  The unfortunate scenario is that any water that gets into the lazzerette ends up in the aft cabin via this trap door.  I plan to remove it and replace it with a sealed access hatch since there is already a hole in the fiberglass liner.  Does anyone else have this in their late Mk 1 boats?  I'm curious if this was a factory install or a previous owner install.  I can see some benefits as an escape hatch for emergencies however that only works if the lazzerette hatch isnt shut and latched.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

ewengstrom

Hey Alex,
Our 88 has an access hatch similar to a Bomar inspection hatch. (I believe ours is approximately 14 x 16)
Fortunately this hatch is located at the back of the lazarette, directly over the forward part of the fuel tank. One of these would work well to seal your problem up but the downside would be its appearance from below....
Looking at that photo of the aft cabin....I have to wonder the reason for installing this in this particular boat.....maybe is doubles as an attic for those in the aft cabin.  :abd:
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

waughoo

It sure made getting at the hatch hinge nuts when I replaced them much easier!  There is also a large air conditioner in the forward part of lazzerette.  Perhaps it was part of that install.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Stu Jackson

Quote from: waughoo on July 21, 2021, 01:37:26 PM
There is also a large air conditioner in the forward part of lazzerette.  Perhaps it was part of that install.

Very good analysis.   :clap  Certainly isn't/wasn't OEM.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Alex : That mod. is definitely a owner installed Hatch. 
Not too sure why it was installed???  It appears that only a very small person could go thru the hatch and like you said the hasp above must be undone and not locked for egress.

You answered my first question about the hoses that are for the AC unit. 

I see no other function of that hatch except egress and if it were mine I'd caulk it shut.  At least that way it would be water tight and stop any drips into the aft cabin.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

This was my assumption.  The plan that is forming is an access hatch that will seal and keep the water out.  I will probably have to sprt out a way to make the cabin top look pretty ish from below.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

ewengstrom

I do like that access hatch I have in the lazarette over the fuel tank but I'm glad it's where it is because I don't have to worry about what it looks like from below.
YBYC but I do like Ron's idea of caulking that hatch shut. Yes you have that finger hole that needs to be addressed but we're boaters with old boats so that means we're creative...right?????
Caulking still leaves the opening accessible, if perhaps a wee bit more difficult to open, but it'll sure keep the water off that bulkhead which I believe is your goal.
Another thing to consider is those opening hatches aren't cheap....and once installed  and closed (in this particular application) you'll probably not open it again.....ever.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

lazybone

Add a piece of ply over the existing hatch so that it overlaps the existing opening by an inch or so.  Use foam weatherseal and screw it down as required. 
Bit of paint and you're done.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

Alex : Just get a small roll of aluminum flashing.  Cut a piece to overlap the hatch cutout and secure it with Aluminum duct tape inside the lazerette - after filling the cracks with caulk!!  Then cleanup the teak inside and the aft cabin will be "pretty" again.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788