1997 catalina sink replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

captran

One ounce is worth a pound of cure.  Years ago used jb weld on underside of sink.  This year noticed corrosion on other side.  Not leaking but did now what I should have done and cleaned from underside.  Several rust spots.  Anyone done that job?  Looks like getting it out would require removal of entire galley top (corion).  Any ideas where to start if that is needed?
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Ron Hill

Randy : You need to contact Catalina Parts @ 1-727-544-6681.  My old 1995 Mk 1 parts list shows it as #F60155 ($213.30!!)  You might also try Catalina Direct!

A few OLD thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Unlike plywood or particleboard-backed laminates (eg, Formica, WilsonArt) solid surface tops (eg, corian) are typically glued down.  If that's what CTY used you'd need to get a cutting blade between the top and cabinet (a multitool blade maybe?) or if it's old enough and deteriorated it might loosen with a putty knife and gentle prying or putty knife multitool blade?
You might verify the installation method/material w/ with Warren Pandy.   If the rust/corrosion isn't too bad (through) I'd epoxy coat the undersides (or use pickup bed liner coating (tougher than nails) and protect what s/s is there.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Randy : If you still are looking for a sink replacement be sure to to specify if you are looking for a "drop in" or a "under the counter top" type mount !

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

If you have room for the rim of a drop in and you don't want the old sink, have you considered cutting the old one out with a dremel and replacing it with a drop in?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Quote from: captran on July 20, 2021, 09:20:36 PM
Thanks.  I wish mine was a drop in but its mounted under the corian like counter top, which would likely not remove without breaking the countertop, which includes the area over to the fridge..

People built it.  People who built it could help you understand how they did it so you could undo it.  Have you considered calling Catalina Yachts and asking them how to do it?

I ask only because I am reminded of Captain Al Watson's classic "How I Replaced Our Galley Countertop" article from back in the late 1990s.  Back then nobody could figure that one out either.  He did.  And wrote about it for all of us.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Randy,

Here's Al's countertop replacement:  https://www.c34.org/projects/kindred-spirit/counter2.html

It took me a while to find it, since someone had changed the tech wiki main page link from the old "Projects" to the more limited Project by Boat/Author, unfortunately removing that direct link, which is: https://www.c34.org/projects/projects.html  [Old Projects link]

I just went in and added it to the tech wiki.

Perhaps a little detective work under the counter could come in handy, unless you've already been "down under."   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Randy : Most "under the counter" mounted sinks are screw in tabs that hold the caulked sink in place.  You are best to contact Catalina (Warren Tandy 727-544-6681) and find out how they originally secured that sink.  I'm afraid that you will be removing that entire counter top.

On the rust spots underneath (strange as I've never seen that before) I'd lightly sand to remove the rust and then paint the entire bottom with auto undercoat.  At least that will prevent more rust holes.  On your present hole JB Weld might be the only answer?

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

The epoxy/aluminum-embedded product that Stu used on the pump land on his engine gear cover might be a choice. The company might make a stainless-embedded epoxy as well.  Brazing (harbor freight or bernzomatic brazing sticks might also be a choice - there's a YouTube showing how to fill/repair a hole.
I'm thinking ... braze on or adhere a thin backing plate underneath and then fill the hole and polish 'er up.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

ewengstrom

Not sure about the MK2 boats but the galley counter support in the older boats is a full 3/4" thick plywood that is fiberglassed in place. You can clearly see this in the photo of our boat during the refit two years ago.
I would suspect this did change too much between MK1 & MK2 boats, but that would need verification.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Ron Hill

Guys : The MKII boats have a "Corian" counter top rather than Formica over plywood.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the factory didn't use the same sink which in the MKI is a drop in and the MKII is a under the counter installation!! 

So Randy a new sink of the same size MIGHT? be able to be a drop in rather than a under the counter??  If so, you'll gain some more space under the galley sink.   
Check the size of the Corian "cut out"!!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Ron Hill

Randy : If you have other rust spots, I wouldn't waste my time with brazing!!  I'd just go for a new sink!!

If you get a new sink then I'd definitely coat the underside with auto undercoat!

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788