Electric winch for mainsail starboard side

Previous topic - Next topic

Medved

Hi All, I have searched Tech Wiki and the overall site, but could not find any articles or threads on replacing starboard side manual winch with an electric one. Has anyone done it? Any feedback on the best way to install?

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Med : I've never heard of one!!  I have a friend with a C42 that has an electric winch on the starboard coach top. That seems to be able to everything he needs done!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Mike McDonald

The older I get, the harder it is to raise the main. I looked into installing an electric winch, but found the cost was more than I wanted to spend, so I purchased a WinchRite battery powered winch handle. It works quite well, and has the added advantage of being able to use in on the other winches if necessary.
I did have the battery die 3 months after the warranty expired. It has to be replaced by the manufacturer, so I sent it in. They agreed to replace the battery free of charge anyway.
This might be an alternative to consider. Good luck!
Mike.....
Mike McDonald
1987 / #0396  / M25xp
"Irish Diplomacy"
Pultneyville Yacht Club
Lake Ontario