C34 MKII cradle dimensions

Previous topic - Next topic

robbjd

I have recently purchased a 97 C34 MKII. I'm 200 miles away from the boat and it's storage cradle. I'm trying to arrange shipment of the cradle from home but the PO wasn't sure of the dimensions of the cradle. I realize that there are many different cradles out there, but can someone give me rough dimensions of their folded cradle's base? I plan to rent a trailer and bring the cradle home later this summer.

John Robb
S/V Mystic
1997 C34 MKII
Sarnia, ON, Canada
S/V Mystic
1997, C34 MKII, STD rig, Fin keel
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

Dave Spencer

Hi John,
You're right that cradle sizes can vary.  Mine is 67" x 144".  I've attached a couple of pictures showing the boat in the cradle and one when I moved the cradle from Lion's Head to Penetanguishene using my 4' x 7' trailer.  I didn't fold it when I moved it but if I did, it likely would have been 18-24" high.  It was lifted on and off the trailer with a forklift.  I built a support frame in the base of the trailer to support the cradle's weight so it wasn't resting on the top of the sidewalls.
I hope this helps.  Let me know if you want anything more on how I moved my cradle.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

lazybone

So that's why lumber prices are crazy.

You used it all to hold up your cradle.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Colonel Butler

Moved my MkII wing keel cradle from Toronto to Niagara in a large double axle U-Haul trailer. It fit length wise in the box and rested diagonally with one side on the bottom of the box and one side on the side rail. $35 for the trailer rental for the day. You need some sort of material handling equipment (forklift or boom truck) to load/offload.
2006 Catalina 34MkII "Calypso"
Hull #1746
Niagara-on-the-Lake Sailing Club
Niagara-on-the-Lake ON Canada

Matthieu G

Quote from: Dave Spencer on July 09, 2021, 12:01:06 PM
Hi John,
You're right that cradle sizes can vary.  Mine is 67" x 144".  I've attached a couple of pictures showing the boat in the cradle and one when I moved the cradle from Lion's Head to Penetanguishene using my 4' x 7' trailer.  I didn't fold it when I moved it but if I did, it likely would have been 18-24" high.  It was lifted on and off the trailer with a forklift.  I built a support frame in the base of the trailer to support the cradle's weight so it wasn't resting on the top of the sidewalls.
I hope this helps.  Let me know if you want anything more on how I moved my cradle.

Hi David, I'm jumping into this old thread... maybe you can help me.

I'm about to buy a cradle the same size as yours.
Width: 67 inches
Length: 156 inches
My only concern is relates to its width.
According to the manual, the cradle should be about 8 feet wide. (7.8 between the stern pads, and 7.2 for the bow)

How comfortable do you feel with this smaller width?

Thanks
Matthieu Girard
1990 Mk1.5  #1102
Sailing in the Chaleur Bay, Eastern Canada

Ron Hill

John : Look at the MK II Owners manual (no page #) in WiKi,  there are dimensions for both the Wing and Fin Keel shipping cradles!! 

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

Dave Spencer

Hi Matthieu
I have no issues at all with my 67' x 144" cradle.  It's been moved via a hydraulic trailer short distances at the marina on numerous occasions.  The previous owner used the cradle to moved the boat at least 225 km on a truck... and then back again on at least one occasion.  For many years, our boat was exposed to significant winter weather / wind on Georgian bay and it was perfectly stable.
I just returned from the marina an hour ago after hauling my boat out for the winter today.  After seeing your previous post, I was casually observing the cradles in use at our marina where about 600 boats are hauled out each year.  Based on my inspection of about 50 cradles last week and earlier today, cradles 8 ft wide seem to be limited to very large sailboats.
I am perfectly comfortable with the width of my cradle and I'm sure you'll be happy with yours. 

Dave 
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Matthieu G

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for your detailed answer.

I'm going to get my hands on this cradle with a clearer conscience.

Matthieu
Matthieu Girard
1990 Mk1.5  #1102
Sailing in the Chaleur Bay, Eastern Canada