Sole trim

Previous topic - Next topic

ErikN

Here's a trivia question for MkI owners: was there some sort of trim around the bilge access panels in the salon sole? Mine has a gap (photo attached) that is good at collecting dust bunnies, but I suspect there might originally have been something covering it.
Erik
Erik Noonburg, Seattle WA
#53 1986, SR/FK, M25, "Callooh! Callay!"

mark_53

Floor panel or bilge cover is undersized compared to mine.

Noah

My sole fits tight up against channel hump in hull liner. All smooth transition. Looks like your sole has been trimmed or liner is different.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

It looks to me like yours has swelled or someone replaced it with something thicker than designed.  It should be reasonably flush with the fiberglass liner.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

ErikN

This photo shows the aft end of the bilge cover. The liner is recessed around the bilge, and there are screw holes (?) that make it look like something was attached to fill the gap. It's possible that a previous owner trimmed away the edges of the wood panels for some reason, but the edges look smooth. Hmmm.

Jeff Kaplan

Eric,

Did you replace the sole, or part of it?  It does look like the sole under the table and the other section was trimmed a little too narrow so it created spaces that can collect dirt and stuff.

Jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

ErikN

We haven't replaced any of the sole--we're getting ready to sand and varnish it for the first time since we bought the boat (a little over a year ago). It's possible that a previous owner trimmed the edges. Jeff, on your 1986 do the wood panels meet one another around the bilge cover, or are they separated by a ridge in the liner as in Noah's photo?

Erik

Ron Hill

Erik : Some time in in its life your one original bilge cover got swaped out/modified!!!  by someone????? 

From what I've seen the wood workers at Catalina would have NEVER cut that piece that short and missed aligning the holly stripes. You'll just have to make a new piece!!
Your boat did NOT come out of the factory that way!!!

My thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Kaplan

Eric, my sole looks just like picture Noah sent in. I think the PO did some trimming.
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

glennd3

Were the early mark1s masts deck stepped?
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Stu Jackson

Quote from: glennd3 on July 07, 2021, 06:22:23 AM
Were the early mark1s masts deck stepped?

It was an option.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

ErikN

In Noah's photo the liner rises up to become even with top surface of the sole, effectively forming a ring around the bilge (if I'm interpreting his photo correctly). On my boat, that ring doesn't exist. The liner makes another step down, and this holds the bilge cover in place. The boards forming the bilge cover are twice as thick as the other boards in the sole--otherwise the surface over the bilge would be lower than the rest of the sole. The boards may have been trimmed by a previous owner, but the original couldn't have looked like Noah's photo.

The mast is deck stepped, with a compression post beneath (in the attached photo).

Erik

ErikN

Sorry about the upside-down photo...

Ron Hill

Erik : You might want to just add some wood strips of the same thickness to the sides and end so that piece fits snugly - and just live with the Teak/Holley pattern not aligning.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

derekb

Hi Erik, yes my MkI has a strip of teak screwed into those channels you have on each side of the bilge access panels. So I don't have those gaps either side.
Derek Buckmaster
Esprit, 1986 C34 Mark I #29. Fin keel, Universal M25.
Geelong, Victoria, Australia