Smoke & CO detector placement

Previous topic - Next topic

robbjd

We recently purchased a 1997 34 MK2, hull#1344. It was owned by a firefighter and surprisingly didn't have any detectors aboard. What's the best location for a combined smoke & CO detector?
S/V Mystic
1997, C34 MKII, STD rig, Fin keel
Universal M35-AC
Hull #1344
Sarnia, ON, Canada

scgunner

robbjd,

As a retired fireman I wouldn't recommend a combo unit, smoke rises, CO sinks, so you've got two different gases headed in two different directions.

In my boat I have a smoke detector overhead in the main salon, that's the first place smoke is going to gather, you'll probably have to pop it off when cooking in the galley but that just shows it works, just remember to replace it when you're done.

I mounted a CO detector in the aft cabin just below the seat about two inches off the deck, that's the end of the boat where any CO will be coming from.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

rob : Great questions!! 
Smoke Detector - I mounted my smoke detector on the overhead in the salon just aft of the opening hatch.  I also made sure that my smoke detector also has a LIGHT, so when the detector sounds off, the Light turns ON and illuminated the entire cabin - in case of fire at night!!

CO Detector -  I mounted mine under the bottom teak step!!

A few thoughts 
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI wouldn't recommend a combo unit, smoke rises, CO sinks, so you've got two different gases headed in two different directions.

I agree.  Mounted smoke alarm overhead in main salon.  CO detector just above sole on the forward bulkhead on the v-berth side port, because I sleep in the v-berth. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA