No fuel in my injection pump. M35B, 1998.

Previous topic - Next topic

searover

Good day.
I know this subject has previously been discussed, but if you have any further advice on finding no fuel being emitted through my injection pump, it would be greatly appreciated.
I have removed the injection pump and it appears that the accelerator slide is sticking really badly. I only have around 900 hours on the engine. I see fuel through the secondary fuel pump bleed screw and fuel is clean.
If you know of a good process to clean this, or if you know of a reputable " shop" between Toronto and Hamilton, Ontario please let me know.
Also, if you have any detailed advice on reinstalling the injection pump on my M35B, it would save me hours and the possibility of me interrupting any of the delicate tolerances on the pump.
Many thanks
Bernard

Ron Hill

Bernard : When I take carburetors apart I always use acetone to clean and remove any of the "varnish" off the internal parts.  Hope this helps

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

searover

Hello Ron.
Thanks for the advice Ron!

On a quick note to update,...after removing the injection pump from the engine, we opened the side cover plate that allows access to the slide and the 4 injectors. We immediately confirmed that the open/close slide was severely stuck! We used a hard non-metal brush with some WD40 (all we had at the time) and cleaned a relatively small oil-grime deposit off, added a generous amount of engine oil which now allowed the slide to move freely. After replacing the injection pump, ensuring that all 4 nodes were fitted correctly into the slide, we replaced all connecting metal hoses and bled the fuel through the pump first, which only took short bursts of ignition. We then bled only 2 of the fuel injectors, tightened them all up and within a second the engine purred into life without even a sputter!

I hope this is of some value to anyone with this condition.

PS Does anyone know what the torque value should be for the 6 bolts holding the Injection pump onto the main engine casing?

Ron Hill

Bernard : Good for you !!  Yes, WD40 does wonders!!

I'd guess that those 6 bolts should be happy as long as they are all at the same torque.  I don't know the spec torque, but try 15 ft. lbs (spark plug torque)!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

searover

Hi Ron.
Again,....... thank you for your response. I think your suggestion is valid regards torque for the 6 bolts. I found a general table that showed a suggested torque of min 12.5 f/p.

If you have any advice on leaking opening ports, that is my next project. I have the replacement seals, but I'm not sure if that is the root cause of the problem. All 6 ports leak in a heavy downpour! Most suggestions I have seen is to replace the entire old style port?

Thanks.

Ron Hill

Bernard : Did this a number of years ago, but I ordered from Defender new rubber gaskets for my 6 Lewmar ports.  I didn't have any leaking, but the rubber gaskets look pretty bad so I preventively changes them out.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

Bernard, at ~$240 each, don't replace your old style opening ports yet. My old style ports leaked when I purchased the boat. I removed them, cleaned all old silicone off all surfaces, and rebed with bed-it butyl tape from Mainsail's website. I replaced the gaskets, and the o-rings under the dog/latches. No more leaks.

Be careful removing the plastic trim ring around the port if you still have them. They are brittle, and will break if not careful. I haven't had any luck finding replacements. Also keep track of the screws and which hole they came from as you remove them. Mine were different lengths, and had to go back into the same hole they came out of to avoid damaging the exterior aluminum.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

Bernard : I got both new lenses and the gaskets from Defender.  Yes, be very careful with the plastic inside trim rings as Lewmar has no replacements!!  If you break one you might try a 3 D printer?? 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Phil Spicer

Ron, do you recall the size of our Lewmar ports? Lewmar uses numbers.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

waughoo

Lewmar old style #1 is whats in my 1991 mk1.5.  I just got done replacing the beckson ports in the cockpit well to the aft cabin with some ebay sourced lewmar #1 old style.  I have never liked the becksons.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Phil Spicer

Thank you Alex. I think the mark l is the same. Looking into getting new lenses and gaskets for my portlights. Why is it that I am at home when I need to know the size of something on the boat?
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

waughoo

Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte