Transmission slipping

Previous topic - Next topic

SVTOMCRUISE

1990 C34 with Universal M35 - We are in Key West and on the way down, we noticed that once in a while the boat would lose power, vibrate heavily, temperature rises to 180 from 165 (normal operating temp) and we go much slower.

It feels like the transmission may be slipping? I just changed the fluid before leaving.

When this happens, I've been able to "reset" the engine by going to neutral, waiting a moment, reverse, neutral, and then FWD again. I have also found this to happen when running through seaweed. Perhaps they are unrelated or perhaps I am mistaking fear slippage for and entangled prop/blocked thru-hull?

Ron Hill

SV : I've been to Key West and you best take care that sea grass will clog up the raw water intake.  Stay clear of any sea grass you see on the water's surface. 

When the sea grass wraps around the prop and rudder it will really slow down the boat.  I believe that's what is happening - you drop it off when you go in reverse!!

After I got back from Key West I caulked a round strainer in place over the raw water intake!!  Never had a problem again.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788