Genoa Sheave

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Wouldn't any of the LLCs will work for you? 

https://www.garhauermarine.com/track-blocks-accessories/low-lead-genoa-cars.html

I have both yours and a LLC-3 or 4 in line on each side which lead back to my cheek block.

The reason I have BOTH in line is because I wanted to keep the lead LOW, hence the LLCs which REPLACED the old standup blocks OEM, which I found much too wobbly.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waughoo

To the OP... I think what you have for genoa cars is Garhauer's pre ball bearing version of a low lead car.  They no longer make anything without ball bearings.  Thats why you cant get one that looks exactly the same.  The link Stu sent above to GhM's low lead cars are the ball bearing replacements to what you have.  I would FULLY expect the ball bearing low lead cars to fit and be a great upgrade from what you have/had.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Stu Jackson

Quote from: waughoo on June 17, 2021, 07:14:12 PM
To the OP... I think what you have for genoa cars is Garhauer's pre ball bearing version of a low lead car.  They no longer make anything without ball bearings.  Thats why you cant get one that looks exactly the same.  The link Stu sent above to GhM's low lead cars are the ball bearing replacements to what you have.  I would FULLY expect the ball bearing low lead cars to fit and be a great upgrade from what you have/had.

Alex makes a good point.  My old cars, like yours, are the aft ones.  The newer ones, like the linked LLCs are both forward.  Looks better, too, engineering-wise.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

WBev

OK, I am biting this bullet.   The LL-2s handle up to 3000 lbs   at $80/each.  The LL-3s handle up to 3,500 lbs at $120/each.   I have a 155 genoa. Would you expect the LL-2 to be sufficient?  I had it in my "cart" when I saw Stu's note.
Wobegon II
1992 C-34 MK 1.5
#1211,  Wing/Tall Rig
Universal M35
Magothy River, MD

Noah

That is a question that Garhauer CAN answer.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

QuoteOK, I am biting this bullet.   The LL-2s handle up to 3000 lbs   at $80/each.  The LL-3s handle up to 3,500 lbs at $120/each.   I have a 155 genoa. Would you expect the LL-2 to be sufficient?  I had it in my "cart" when I saw Stu's note.

Or you could do a big upgrade and go with the adjustable cars.  I see that they are priced in pairs of sets for about $350 vrs $160 to 240 for a pair of the set cars.  The only other thing to buy would be some rope for control lines.  Use the old cars on the outer track.  Replace the sheave when you can find or have one made.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Bill : Stu brought up a good point.  Most of us have added turning blocks which are well behind the primary winches.  So all my genoa blocks do is keep the sheet line low and set the sheet line correct angle with the sail clue!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

WBev

A dose of my own medicine came, and I called Garhauer.  The LLC-2's were recommended for my boat with its' 155 genoa.  As usual, the Garhauer folks are very friendly and open to discussion. 
As to the $350 set (control lines set-up), that does not include the end cam cleats which tack on another $120 (part #SJ-2).  I did discuss that option as well. Not a good year for me to do that, though that was my original hope.
The new blocks are on the way. I will also check at Bacons toward using the originals on the outside track with the Garhauer midship cleat.
Thank you all.
Bill
Wobegon II
1992 C-34 MK 1.5
#1211,  Wing/Tall Rig
Universal M35
Magothy River, MD

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on June 18, 2021, 01:51:26 PM
Bill : Stu brought up a goo point.  Most of us have added turning blocks which are well behind the primary winches.  So all the genoa blocks do is keep the sheet line low!!

Most of my points are gooey!  :D

The idea that all the sheet blocks do is keep the line low is not quite accurate.  I have two cars on each side and then the aft cheek block.

The forward genoa car, like the LL2 or LL3 do the major work of turning the sheet and holding it down.  The aft car, like WBev's old one, really are more just a fairlead rather than a genoa sheet turning block and literally carry almost no load.

I chose to buy the two extra turning blocks because without the aft one the sheet was rubbing on the shorepower inlet cover.  I put the newer ball bearing ones forward, since the older WBev ones came with my boat.  They've probably lasted this long because they are NOT under load, whereas the ball bearing ones take the brunt of the sheet load.

I also removed the end stop at the aft end of the track.  Makes it easier to remove the cars if needed, and I have a few times over the years, mostly for cleaning the track which I could also do by just moving them around.  Wouldn't do that if I had moveable cars.

waughoo

The later mark 1.5s have cheek blocks mounted at the aft end of the cockpit coaming to resolve the chafing due to the lead to the winch.  My boat came with sheets that were too short to make it through the cheek block.  I just strung in my new ones about a week ago and tried them out today.  The cheek blocks work GREAT and my new sheets make my boat look so fancy!!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Stu Jackson

Previously posted in another thread