Genoa Sheave

Previous topic - Next topic

WBev

My port side genoa sheave froze before I realized it and now it is done. It is the OEM Garhauer.  I reached out to them and it is no longer available, so I am now in the market for the genoa blocks (both to match).  I read the prior postings and know the curved track may be a problem (1992 C34).  Any one replace theirs and have a recommendation?
I called Schaefer already and they have no sheave to fit.

I saw a C34 with cockpit adjustable cars in Atlantic Highlands, NJ.  Garhauer has these, but at $350 + shipping.  Looking like a pipe dream at the moment, and since I don't race, a rare pipe dream at that. Also, I didn't notice if the cars were on a curved track, though it was definitely a V1 of our boats so it is likely so.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Wobegon II
1992 C-34 MK 1.5
#1211,  Wing/Tall Rig
Universal M35
Magothy River, MD

Steve McGill

The curved track should not be an issue, Garhauer has a number that should work. One example from their site.

Low Lead Genoa Car for 1-1/4" T-Track

https://www.garhauermarine.com/track-blocks-accessories/low-lead-genoa-cars/low-lead-genoa-car-llc-2.html

Good luck,

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

KWKloeber

Which model Genoa block did you have?  Or a pic?
I might have one.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Dave Spencer

Wobegon,
I'm very surprised if you're hearing the track cars aren't available.  Garhauer certainly has them on their website here:
https://www.garhauermarine.com/track-blocks-accessories/low-lead-genoa-cars.html
And there are definitely other brands that will fit if it's inconvenient to order from Garhauer (although they have excellent service).  The curved track won't be a problem. 

Good luck!
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Jim Hardesty

QuoteMy port side genoa sheave froze before I realized it and now it is done.

Do I understand correctly that the sheave is not turning when adjusting the sheets?  That was the case on Shamrock when I first bought her.  Was a simple call to Garhauer to get the sheave and axle bolt.  I'm surprised that they didn't have the parts or couldn't help you, they've always given me great service in the past.  I think the track is the same on all brands, perhaps you could buy a different brand car. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

csimmerling

those Garhauer blocks look quite different from what came with my 86 C34 - does anyone have a pic of how they've set them up? I often have problems on the port side with the sheet rubbing on the cockpit edge as it comes across to the inner side of the winch.
"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY

Jon W

My 1987 has stand up track blocks similar to this -

https://www.garhauermarine.com/track-blocks-accessories/track-car-single-blocks/track-car-single-block-40-40-uab.html

If that's what you're looking for, on the Garhauer website look under "track blocks and accessories", then "track car single blocks". There's a few options to choose from.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Many folks have installed cheek blocks/turning blocks mounted on the combing, aft of the winch, so that the line doesn't rub over the combing while going to the winch.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

WB : I'd go to Bacons in Annapolis and see if you can't fine a block that will work for this sailing season.  Then take your frozen block and send it back Gauhauer and have them fix yours.  Gauhauer will repair any of their products!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

WBev

Thank you for your responses.

To be clear, I did not post this inquiry until AFTER speaking with Garhauer, sending them photos and measurements, and having them research whether they had anything they could provide me with and only after being told "we have nothing to replace the sheave with."   They also declined to make or repair mine.  It has two flats from the line rub under pressure.  I did view the numerous options Garhauer offers.

The sheave is 2 3/8" (6 cm) in diameter, and 1 1/8" wide (3 cm).  The center of the hub is 3/8".  The photos I sent to Garhauer are too large to post. The biggest issue is the width as the throat of the block slide is 1 1/4" wide, so the block uses two full diameter spacers to keep the line from pinching in between block and mount.  A nylon spacer won't work unless it also is 2 3/8" in diameter. 

I did consider Bacons, and may still go there, but it is a good ride for me to get there and to pay for my sailing habit I still find myself working (except at the moment, as I just took a break to look here ; ) 

The idea of noting in my post the curved track, and incidentally the fact it is recessed, came up on prior threads, all from years ago when Garhauer still had the sheaves available and members were replacing cars. My 1.5 model vs. a Mk II might be different in this respect. I always try to search this awesome site before posting. Also, I can't fault Garhauer for moving on after 30 or more years. It happens. 

I have a cheek/turning block on the combing, also a Garhauer.
Ken I will try to PM you with a photo, so long as the site allows. After work I will try to find editing software to post for all.

Thank you, Bill 

Wobegon II
1992 C-34 MK 1.5
#1211,  Wing/Tall Rig
Universal M35
Magothy River, MD

Ron Hill

Bill : Your first post listed your C34 is on the Magothy River Md which is just above Annapolis.  That's why I mentioned Bacons.  You might also contact "Sail Annapolis" (Catalina Dealer) and check with John Middleton on your problem and see if he might have a solution? 

You might also drill out the block's pin and remove the sheave.  If you know anyone in a machine shop they could make a new sheave for you and adjust the thickness. 

Like you said you just might have to "Bite the Bullet" spring for new movable genoa car system.  My 1988 has a recessed track and it works great.

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: WBev on June 17, 2021, 01:14:51 PM

After work I will try to find editing software to post for all.

Thank you, Bill

Bill,

Posting and RESIZING Photos 101  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3701.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

WBev

OK, I have been ignoring the fun ticket creator (my job) and believe I have squeezed some photos down. Could not paste into this so they are attached. 
I bet many MK 1s have the same as my Mk1.5.
Ron my boat is over an hour away, and Annapolis, on the other side of the river, is over an hour and a half each way, and 40 minutes from the boat by car. 
Ken, please let me know. 
Thanks Stu, I had read the posting photos stuff today.  Google photos did the work for me.
Thank you.
Wobegon II
1992 C-34 MK 1.5
#1211,  Wing/Tall Rig
Universal M35
Magothy River, MD

KWKloeber

WB Bill,

Sorry that's not the type extra cars I have from Garhauer.  Yours are similar to the OEM ones that were on my 84 C30. 
I'd think GhM or a machine shop could turn a new sheave to fit.
If it's any help to temp get you by, Ed Louchard manufacturers Delrin sheaves of any configuration - I had him turn new ones for a friend's Beneteau that worked great - he "turns" them around in a day or two after he receives the old one (or measurements.)

http://www.zephyrwerks.com/

-Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

My MK1 genoa/jib/headsail blocks look like this, which I believe is OEM equipment. The blocks slide on the inboard 1 1/4" recessed T-track. (photo of blocks from 2016 Sue Clancy parts for sale post).
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca