Axiom+ RV

Previous topic - Next topic

rmjohns

Has anyone installed the Raymarine Axiom RV / Axiom+ RV?  I'm looking to replace the C80 I currently have. However, looking at the Axiom doc, the connector for the transducer is a big 25 pin connector. It's hard to tell from the doc just how big it is, but I suspect it would be trouble getting up the 1" binnacle tubing. 

Thanks
Rob.
Rob

1998 Catalina 34 Mkii 1390 - Miss Allie
New Bern, NC

waughoo

A quick search seems to show this transducer as a transom mount affair.  Do I have that correct?  If so, it isnt well suited for a C34. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

rmjohns

You're right that they sell the unit either stand alone or packaged with that stern mount transducer. Buying the unit alone let's you pick from one of probably 20 different transducers that will either plug directly in or plug in with adapter cables. 

My C34 currently has a separate sonar unit in the aft port locker and a thinner cable that goes up the pedestal tubing. I might have to go that route again, but it appears to be a little more expensive as the "RV" version of the axiom has the sonar unit built in.  If that cable won't fit it's not an option.

Thanks.
Rob.
Rob

New Bern, NC

Gregory M

Rob
Is the other end of that cable with same large 25 pin connector?
Gregory, "Luna Rossa", #1063, 1990, T.Rig Mk 1.5, fin keel. Universal M 35,  Rocna 15,
Penetanguishene ON.

rmjohns

Good question.  Depending on the transducer, the other end is either the transducer itself, or an adapter cable.  There are a dizzying number of transducers and adapters and even the same transducers (P319 for example) come with different connectors.  But you're right that if I could find a transducer with a smaller connector and a longer adapter/cable then the adapter cable could be fed down instead of up.

I had sent Raymarine a support question, but so far they're being quiet.  Just checking if anyone had done something like this already.

Thanks
Rob.
Rob

New Bern, NC

Kyle Ewing

I have a Garmin Echomap 73SV at the wheel with GT8HW-IH transducer (8 pin I believe).  I don't remember having much trouble with the install but I also had all the other wires out as part of an instrument replacement project.

I can share pictures of my installation if it'll help.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Jon W

Does it also have a ferrite ring? I installed my Raymarine ES series below deck at the navigation station and use a mobile repeater in the cockpit. With their app you can easily manipulate the screens on the repeater.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

rmjohns

Kyle, thanks for the offer. I currently have a Raymarine C80 up on the pedestal guard. I recently added an EVO 100 autopilot with the controller being on the pedestal guard, which is why I think a 25 pin plug will be tight fit. 

Jon, I can't say if there is a ferrite ring on the transducer cable. Raymarine does use them on their network cables and they snap on and off so you can fish the lines through.

And I could do something like you suggest where I get an NMEA2k transducer and forego the sonar on the pedestal but I like having it there.  My understanding is that the sonar image isn't supported on the nmea network.  I think the EVO 100 display head will also display depth if it's transmitted on the network.
Rob

New Bern, NC

Jon W

FWIW - I have a ~2016 vintage Raymarine ES98 with fish finder and what they used to call Chirp Downvision Sonar. The Chirp transducer connects directly to the ES98 at the Nav Station. All other transducers connect to an ITC-5. The chart plotter, ITC-5, i60 and i70 displays (at the helm) are connected to the SeaTalkng network. The 10" Tablet (repeater) connects via WIFI to the ES98 and I mount it on RAM Mounts in the cockpit to display all screens including Sonar and fish finder.

First photo you can see the tablet above the chart plotter stored on a Ram Mount when not in use.
Second and third photos show the Ram Mount by the helm and the other under the Dodger.
Fourth photo of helm displays.

Might be different now but the chart plotter has lots of wires in the main cable. Not easy to deal with. I suggest before you buy anything look at the actual stuff.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

rmjohns

Thanks Jon, very interesting.  You almost have to take a course in all this stuff.

Mounting the chartplotter down below is a good option and certainly takes care of the wiring concerns.

What kind of tablet are you using? We've only owned the boat about a year and one of the things I've noticed is that with the autopilot we aren't behind the helm as much so gauges over the main hatch or a tablet somewhere viewable would be nice.

Rob
Rob

New Bern, NC

karista

Quote from: Kyle Ewing on June 10, 2021, 10:26:25 AM
I have a Garmin Echomap 73SV at the wheel with GT8HW-IH transducer (8 pin I believe).  I don't remember having much trouble with the install but I also had all the other wires out as part of an instrument replacement project.

I can share pictures of my installation if it'll help.

Kyle
I just bought the  Garmin Echomap UHD 63CV unit. Where did you install the transducer and the Chartplotter? The transducer wire is a 4-pin connector which will easily fit the pedestal opening.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Kyle Ewing

Karista--I bought a gt8hw-ih transducer and installed on the flat part of the hull near the back of the engine.  It's an in-hull (shoot through the fiberglass) transducer and works well.  The chartplotter is at the helm.  I'll post pictures in the next post.

My Echomap 73sv came with a high definition transom mount transducer but I couldn't make it work.  I was able to sell it for more than the cost of the gt8hw-ih on ebay.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago

Kyle Ewing

Rob and all--Here are more details and pictures of my instrument install.  I did the bulk of the install last spring.  This spring I added Em-trak 953 AIS transponder, replaced an old Windows tablet at the nav table with a Raspberry PI w/10" display, added a travel router GL.iNet GL-AR750S-Ext) to improve networking and added USB and 12 volt ports to fill the space at the nav table where I had a Standard Horizon CP-150 chartplotter.

Two lessons learned for running wires are to check the ends and pull the smaller end first (one end of a SeatalkNG cable is much much smaller than the other) and to temporarily remove wires to make it easier to pull a larger plug. 

I have the following wires in my pedestal:

* Radio remote mic (only cable I cut and spliced)
* Autopilot power (separate small hole in top of picture)
* Depth transducer cable (gt8hw-ih) and chartplotter (Echomap 73sv) power/nmea 0183
* Power for USB/12v outlet
* SeatalkNG (nmea 2000).  I have a five way connector near the instruments connected to chartplotter and instruments
* Power for compass light
* Messenger line

I have a terminal strip at the base of the pedestal for power distribution and nmea 0183 connectivity (nmea 0183 no longer used).  I ran a larger wire from the electric panel to reduce voltage drop.

I reused the swivel mounts that housed my original Datamarine speed and depth instruments.  The i70s and i70 Autopilot displays filled the holes with less than 1/8" to spare.

I cut a small starboard base to move the chartplotter farther back so it could swivel.

I have a Yacht Devices YDWG-02 Nmea 2000 wifi gateway to make nmea data available to any device that wants it

I'm happy to share more details if you'd like.  I'm very happy with my install.  It does everything want and more!
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago

Jon W

Rob, I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 that was on sale for $99 in ~2017. It can be confusing. If you haven't already, do a "why-why-why" type exercise. Then put together your questions, go to marine stores to look at the various choices in person, and talk to the folks selling them. If you know any long time cruisers talk to them too. I found their real word experience to be very helpful.

Now that I have a wheel autopilot I do not sit at the helm the whole time either. I wish I installed one a few years ago. I considered installing the displays over the companionway too, but thought I would always be conking my head on them or grabbing them due to where they'd have to mount because of the angle of my dodger window. Running the cables to be hidden would be a challenge. There are WIFI displays, but I prefer hard wired connections.

Something else to be aware of -
A real difference between a tablet and a proper chart plotter/MFD is screen brightness during the day. I was able to see the tablet screen during sunny So Cal days, but I am sure a chart plotter/MFD would be easier to see. However now that I have a bimini, dodger, and connector between them screen brightness is not an issue at all. FWIW I would do it this way again. Take your time, keep asking questions, and good luck.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

rmjohns

Thanks for the feedback and pictures all, it's great to be able to see what others have done. 

Jon, I have an A10 I picked up a year or so myself, great little tablets for the cost. I hadn't see the RAM mount. Looks like them have them to mount to the 1" tubing, so that looks like the ticket. My current C80 chart plotter doesn't have wifi, but I'm sure the replacement will.

Kyle,   that looks like a great setup. I'm curious what you're doing with the raspberry pi.  I just put one in down below and have open plotter on it plus an i2c temp sensor and just got some voltage sensors I plan to add for minor battery monitoring.  I anticipate once I replace the pedestal chart plotter that the pi will route AIS information from the nmea183 VHF to the nmea2k.
Rob

New Bern, NC