Findings after personal inspection for possible purchase.

Previous topic - Next topic

Tmacmi

Good afternoon everyone. I toured a 1992 C34 this week and had some findings and photos I'd like to post for your feedback. If you would be so kind. I'll post as a series of responses to this leading posts.

Thank you for your help.

Tmacmi

I found something interesting regarding the chain plates. They seem to have had their bolts replaced in an odd manner. Some where round head screws. Others were hex head. But one in particular appears to have been tightened down so hard it crushed the deck somewhat. The backer to the plate was also bent. I presume this is a straight up water intrusion concern.

Tmacmi

Here is rot in the galley. Its not near anything particularly leaky, except perhaps a stanchion some distance away.

Tmacmi

It appeared that the bilge had been left with standing water for an extended period of time. Seller said that was normal build up after storage in winter.

Tmacmi

I often found water damage under the various access coverage. Is that condensation?  I also found the port side area on the hull to be moist, like someone has sprayed water lightly on it. It also had the most mildew build up. I thought perhaps it was condensation, but it didn't appear any place else.

Tmacmi

This one is interesing. This is a Mk 1.5 with the walk-thru transom. There is a very clear ring surrounding the hull in that area. I can't figure out if that is damage repair or if this was a result of changing the design using the original moulds.

waughoo

I can report that my 1991 mk1.5 with walkthrough transom has the same "ring" at the corner of the transom.  It is possible that the joining of the deck and hull required a bit of gel coat repair post joining.  I have no idea if it is original from the factory or if we both have a similar repair :-)
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Noah

The galley "rot" is from the water tank vent stanchion leaking. You may have to replace all or part of the countertop, the ash battens, maybe the GFI outlet and maybe part of the small bulkhead where GFI is mounted. It all depends how extensive the damage is. Hopefully the deck under the stanchion isn't soft and needs repair too.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

BJeansson

We bought #1024 early November 2020 and had several maintenance challenges ahead of us but no structural issues.

Galley - We had the identical issue, it is a leak from the water tank venting stanchion with all certainty. I bough new backing plate and BED-IT and the leak was fixed. Ripped out the entire thin veneer against the starboard hull. Had to replace the outlet and part of the wall that is secured to. Sounds hard but after looking at it for a while and drafting a plan - no problem. Note you have to take the Microwave if you have one.

Bilge - ours did not look that bad, this is not the result of water in the bilge one winter but rather 10 or so. You probably have an odor in the boat that is due to all that.

Holding tank - I have noticed that one of our fittings has a crack and causes a very small leak which also causes odor issues. I will replace the tank and got a quote for the B-179 of around $280 excl freight (CA).

We had a LOT of cleaning, scrubbing, washing, polishing and wax before she reach our standard but she is a gem.

Good Luck,

Bo Jeansson
#1024 1990 MK1.25 M35 Rock Hall MD
Bo Jeansson
1990 MK 1.25 #1024 TR/WK M35
Rock Hall, MD

scgunner

Tmacmi,

I'm not seeing anything that concerns me, just a boat that hasn't been well maintained. Nothing a lot of elbow grease and refinishing won't take care of, think of it as a good way to get to know your new boat and it's systems.

Make a list of those items and it should come in handy when negotiating the price.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

WBev

My 1992 has the same "ring" around the stern, pointed out by the surveyor as I didn't notice it.  Agree, the bilge is more than one season dirty unless it was a terrible season in a bad water area like a dirty city or something.  Water does get in the bilge as the mast is keel stepped, plus assorted other contributors over a season.   

Nothing you posted gives me pause.  Lots of help here should you choose to buy the boat.  This site is the straw that tipped the scales for me to purchase #1211.

Bill
Wobegon II
1992 C-34 MK 1.5
#1211,  Wing/Tall Rig
Universal M35
Magothy River, MD

Noah

I would confirm the integrity of the deck core at the chain plates, the galley area, and anywhere else that there is/was signs of water intrusion. If the deck core is rotted, the amount of pain to bring the boat back significantly increases.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Tmac: If the starboard vented stanchion is leaking, I'd definitely look at the port side vented stanchion area - it is the most push/pulled on stanchion while docking!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

dw

A lot of peace of mind right here https://www.ebay.com/itm/402904188112?hash=item5dcef604d0:g:o9gAAOSwYhtgvUWh

I would be all over that boat with a moisture meter  If you are a member of club you will run into someone that has one. A a couple of youtubes a some practice in a boat yard.  Nice of them not to clean the bilge If he is shows you all of this up front there may not me much left to hide.