Shaft leak

Previous topic - Next topic

rappareems

Launched the other day only to find the bilge at the floor boards two days later...water coming in at the shaft... slow but steady... its not the stuffing box.  I am back on the hard and my man (former Junior sailor of mine now 40) will be tackling the job.  Any suggestions as to what to look for when we pull the shaft?  My man says, "see what Stu and Ron have to say."  Of course we are open to any and only suggestions.

Mark Cassidy
Olcott, Lake Ontario
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

jmcdonald

Just had to replace the rubber hose between the prop tube and the stuffing box.
One cut/crack about 1 inch long. Steady leak. Might take a look at yours.

Noah

If indeed it is as you said, "leaking from the shaft but NOT the stuffing box..." I would guess it could only be a few suspects.
1. Loose hose clamps
2. Crack in shaft log hose
3. Crack in fiberglass shaft log itself or where it is glassed to hull.
Not much else there, unless strut bolts leaking; but unlikely.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Mark : Just replace that rubber hose from the molded hull tube to the packing gland. 

As I recall there have been a number of posts on the very topic mentioning which hose to use.  check WiKi

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

rappareems

Thanks all... my guy gets back in town Monday... he was hoping it is the rubber hose, he replaced that once before some years back.  If it's fiberglass, he is nervous but that is the nature of the beast.  I'll let you know.
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

KWKloeber

Mark

CTY used, at least on the C30, typical exhaust hose, not log hose, which is heavier (6 ply vs 4 ply, IIRC.)
Obviously it should be replaced with the heavier hose.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Sorry to hear that the C30s were built wrong. 

For those of you wondering where to get the right hose, I remembered the name Buck Algonquin and found a link from former C34IA Commodore Ken Juul with a link to their website.  Herer's a link to the hoses and clamps section for stern tube hose:

https://www.hydrasearchrecreational.com/hose-fittings/
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Mark : I'm suspect that you may well have a cracked log tube because " he replaced that (rubber?) once before some years back"!!

Just make sure that it is thoroughly inspected before you take on a simple rubber tube replacement!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Stu Jackson on May 30, 2021, 09:36:50 AM
Sorry to hear that the

C30s were built wrong. 

https://www.hydrasearchrecreational.com/hose-fittings/

THANKS!!! for that link Stu. Now I know where to get the correct one!!!
(the problem is that the log angle didn't let the thicker hose fit, but all it takes is to clean out some of the leftover sloppy fiberglass work with a Dremel, then the heavy hose fits.) 
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Noah

Ken-interestingly, Catalina Direct references the C30 clearance problem and still sells the thinner hose to address this issue.
https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-38/engine/props-etc/stuffing-box-hose-kitw-clamps-1-58quot-id/?SearchResults=1
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Noah, Ah ha!  I know of many who easily worked around the "design fault" and went to the correct hose.  IIRC the Atomic 4 models didn't have that issue but when Gerry D stuffed the diesel into the box the shaft angle changed.  At least that's what I THINK the deal was (but CRS.)

rappareems

Well, pulled shaft yesterday and alas, Noah and Ron were right it is a fiberglass issue not simply the rubber shaft hose.  Going to have another guy look see this morning.... any suggestions?

Mark
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Noah

The replacement part is available, if your old one is cracked bad enough to be unrepairable. However, I do not know enough about what is involved to install it or repair it to advise you. Good luck.
https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/catalina-30/engine/props-etc/shaft-log-fiberglass/?SearchResults=1
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Mark : send us a picture! Can you slide the hose further back to cover the crack and then clamp the rear of the hose? 

If you can't, can you mat and glass over the crack and slide the hose up to the "patch" and the clamp with no leakage?

A few thoughts 
Ron, Apache #788