Join the C34 Association Today!
[C34 Home] [C34Tech Notes] [C34 Tech Wiki] [Join!]
Please login or register.
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shaft leak  (Read 476 times)

rappareems

• Forum - Petty Officer 2nd Class
    • View Profile
Re: Shaft leak
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2021, 02:01:42 PM »

Had the surveyor down from the Ins co. he said it was cracked... and he said it's an easy fix.  My guy who has worked on a lot of boats in the yard is nervous about the job.  We have an experienced guy as a club member who has worked in a local yard for years and is willing to help but he is not "familiar" with this.  I can send a video that my guy took and was hoping to get some local yard to send someone but they are all buried.  Let me know where to send the video.  Surveyor took lots of pictures but I have yet to get the estimate.  When I do I will ask him to send some pics as well.  There is some wear under the shaft log as well, motor must have been out of alignment.

Did you say I could order the shaft log? 
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Ron Hill

• Forum - Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2021, 01:16:09 PM »

Mark : Here's a thought, you might have to first have to check the shaft to make sure it is a true round and not bent.  Then reinstall the shaft in the cutless bearing strut and check the alignment with the engine. What you are doing is working backwards like the jig in the factory.

When the shaft is in the cutless and aligned with the engine, then install a new shaft log in the hull.  That way the strut is the fixed piece and you align everything from and around it!?!

My best guess !   
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

• Administrator
  • Forum - Master Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2021, 01:24:42 PM »

I agree with Ron.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

rappareems

• Forum - Petty Officer 2nd Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Today at 05:35:40 AM »

Ron,

Can you send me your email and I will send pictures.  Had a video but unfortunately deleted it.... The surveyor said it was an east fix ... just get the proper sizded PVC to go over what is left of the shaft log and glass that in.... my guy says not as easy as that... still working on a solution.

My guy not seen anything like this before and local yards are swamped and can't send anyone.  I do have a buddy retired from local yard has promised to "oversee" the fix... just need to get right sized replacement log shaft substitute.  Does anyone know the inside diameter of that shaft log?  I ordered a replacement log but that would entail really tearing things apart to replace the whole thing.
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

KWKloeber

• Forum - Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy
  • "Positive Impact" 1984 C-30 mk-I #3573 trbsfk M-25
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Today at 08:38:49 AM »

@Mark
Plz post picz.  I wouldn’t think that pvc is proper, but…

Could the log be wrapped in place w/epoxy & carbon?
Whereabouts is the crack? Could a large new log (split down the middle using a band saw) be used to sandwich the current log and leave enough of the old for the hose?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up