Autopilot controller ST-4000

Previous topic - Next topic

billandalita

My ST-4000 autopilot Controller stopped working and is also discolored and difficult to see through the lens.  Can someone tell me if I can replace it with a newer Controller?  How about a  Raymarine  P70S Autopilot controller?  If so, is the installation fairly easy, perhaps a wire by wire correspondence to the controller?
Thank You;

Bill Small
Catalina 34 Mark II, 2002

waughoo

The st4000 controller IS the autopilot and has all the brainbox built into the control head.  The p70s and other control heads are simply a physical display that control the autopilot's brain box.  To restore function of your existing setup, you would need to find another working st4000 autopilot control.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

paule

You can send the head back to Raymarine they will replace the screen if that is the problem.  Priced it about 3 years ago and was about $175 plus shipping
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

csimmerling

I got a new LCD on ebay and it was easy to replace and the display was like new afterward.
"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY

billandalita

Thank for edifying me on the differences between the old ST4000 and the newer Raymarine autopilot models.  The current (ST-4000) autopilot does not work at all, and is also very hard to see.  So, perhaps it will be a question of the next best steps forward to get a working autopilot.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

waughoo

Raymarine makes a new version of the wheel pilot which uses their new sensor core.  It has a gyro built in along with a few other sensors.  This replaces the fluxgate compass and as I understand, does a MUCH better job of sterring a course.  If you want to keep it simple, that would be my recommendation.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Admiral_Swellson

I had the same display issue with the ST4000 and I purchased a complete new wheelpilot kit, the iTC-5 transducer converter, and brought everything into a SeaTalkng backbone.  https://www.defender.com/category.jsp?name=wheel-pilot-systems&id=2028710&path=-1|17|2028687

I've since bought but not yet installed a rudder position transducer to try to improve system performance. It's better than ST4000 but not much. One thing is for sure, you must balance your sails or it will struggle and start zigzagging a wider and wider course. :)

Jon W

If you want to keep it simple, install a CPT Autopilot.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

waughoo

The rudder possition sensor is quite necessary for the newer auto pilots to be accurate.  I cant say it makes sense to run one without it (though I am aware the st4000 could opperate without one).
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Admiral_Swellson

Quote from: waughoo on May 25, 2021, 01:48:46 PM
The rudder possition sensor is quite necessary for the newer auto pilots to be accurate.  I cant say it makes sense to run one without it (though I am aware the st4000 could opperate without one).

That's what I thought as well, but it didn't come with the kit and instructions stated it wasn't necessary, so I gave it a try... Installing the rudder reference on a MKII is difficult, so not looking forward to it.  :(

Jon W

CPT Autopilot doesn't need a rudder position sensor.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca