scrubbing diamond non-skid decking

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

Spring cleaning the deck gets tougher every year as I get older.  This year some of my diamond non-skid deck has black something deep in the groove.  Makes it even tougher that it's difficult to see when the deck is wet or soap covered.  I've lightly power washed with a small power washer staying well away from any deck fittings, helped but didn't get it all.  So, before I start buying a variety of brushes and cleaners and spend hours scrubbing thought I'd ask the group, especially the sailors that have to deal with cleaning after a winter lay-up.
How do others clean the diamond and other non-skid?  Type of brush? brand? cleaner? Any suggestions are welcome.
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Kyle Ewing

I use Star Brite non-skid cleaner and a deck brush.  I'll use a stiffer hand brush on any areas that the softer deck brush didn't clean.
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

scgunner

Jim,

It might be time to repaint the non-skid. I did mine a few years ago because the gelcoat was starting to show through in places, it turned out great.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

Kevin- Details on paint/type/technique? Pics?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Noah

Besides the usual products (kiwi grip, et al) see the approach Neil used in his posts to this thread:
https://groups.io/g/Catalina30/message/106747

Neil is a sailor's sailor - he does every job 125% - he used to work for boat mfgrs. He's at Dana Pt.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Thx Ken- but I was wondering details on what Top Gun had done re: "painting" his nonskid deck, for everyone's benefit. Fortunately, my beige OEM nonskid is still holding up very well and looking good. A few chips/wear in the fine white nonskid pattern on cockpit seat that could use some gelcoat... but someday I will get around to it.
Standard Rig

scgunner

Noah,

I believe Interlux is what Catalina originally used when they finished the boats. I used Kingston Grey for my C34 and years ago when I repainted the deck of my C27 I used Grand Banks Beige, both were exact matches for what was originally on the decks. I believe you'll find the Grand Banks Beige a match for your boat.

I just added some Interlux Flattening Agent to knock down the shine and rollered it on, it looks like it was sprayed on. Believe me the difference between holding up well and a new coat of paint is eye popping!
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

KWKloeber

Thx Ken- but I was wondering details on what Top Gun had done re: "painting" his nonskid deck, for everyone's benefit. Fortunately, my beige OEM nonskid is still holding up very well and looking good. A few chips/wear in the fine white nonskid pattern on cockpit seat that could use some gelcoat... but someday I will get around to it.

Gotcah Noah.  Mea culpa  (w/ the observation that merely painting a nonskid (not with a non-skid product) must reduce its safety somewhat.  The virtually nonexistent skid-grip of my Catalina basketweave would be even further diminished.

As Neil D points out in his posts, the object of nonskid is safety, not aesthetics with a reduction of safety.  JTSO.       
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Noah

Kevin—Interlux paint on Catalina OEM?? Are you sure the nonskid is not gelcoat? I would be surprised if it is/was paint?
Standard Rig

scgunner

Noah,

I'm certainly not an expert on Catalina construction methods but the color on my decks looked like paint that had faded and or was worn away. It may be that the original diamond non-skid decks were gelcoat but then it would seem an amazing coincidence that not one but two deck coatings on two different boats are exact matches with the Interlux beige and gray.

Ken,

By basketweave I assume you mean the seats in the cockpit, I can see where painting them could cause some problems because the pattern is so small. Mine are white gelcoat finish and since they don't get as weather beaten as the deck I left them alone. You're right painting a non-skid surface with paint right out of the can, for reasons of safety is not a good idea.

Interlux provides paint additives for various applications.  While it's not it's designed purpose, adding flattening agent to the paint will make it grippier. If you really want to upgrade your non-skid you can add the Intergrip, which depending how much you add will provide super grip, if that's what you want. I've found paint with the flattener provides a safe, non slip surface that's at least as good as the original deck.

I have a swim platform I added to my transom, it's glassed plywood, so when I painted the top I used both flattener and Intergrip. Even when the surface is wet and soapy (showers) purchase is excellent.

FYI, I'm not an Interlux salesman, it's just a product that works well for me.

KWKloeber

Kevin

I don't know which non-skid was used on the 34s so I wanted to use mine as the example. 

My C30 deck non-skid is the Catalina basketweave pattern, which is essentially wishful thinking as far as meaningful safety/slip protection.  see #317:
https://gibcoflexmold.com/pattern_type/female/?boat_manufacturer=catalina-yachts&post_types=patterns

The seats are a (SLIGHTLY) textured gelcoat, not the basketweave.  I think they are #301.
The cockpit sole is also #317.

Someday I would like to redo it all (sans seats of course) as Neil D did in the link in my post.

Aside:
I don't know of Catalina (at least any 30s) finished with paint.  AFAIK all were gelcoat (colored or white accordingly, even the boot stripes.)

Ron Hill

Jim : Try some "Bar Keepers Friend" from the grocery store.  It's a powder with occylic (sp) acid in it.  You can also try "Fiberglass Stain Remover".

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

I second Ron's suggestion. Both Bar Keepers Friend and FSR (Fiberglass Stain Remover) are great products and worth storing onboard.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

scgunner

Jim,

I had the same problem you've got, I couldn't seem to get the grooves in certain places clean. I thought it was dirt or mold or both, on closer examination the surface finish (whatever it was) was going away, it was the gelcoat starting to show through. That's when I decided to paint or repaint the decks.

Ken,

I believe the C34 has the large diamond plate pattern, which provides an excellent as is non-skid surface.

As I said before, I don't know how the factory finished the decks, but in the slip next to mine is a near new C350 with factory finished gray decks and after I painted mine, by comparasion you can't tell them apart. I really don't see your concern with repainting the decks since Interlux is a high quality marine finish designed for just this purpose.

Also while your friend Neil's surface treatment turned out beautifully and I'm sure provides excellent purchase, it doesn't look like it would be very bare foot friendly.

KWKloeber

Quote from: scgunner on May 26, 2021, 10:51:27 AM

Ken,

I believe the C34 has the large diamond plate pattern, which provides an excellent as is non-skid surface.

If that's the case then I wish I had that pattern!!! I probably wouldn't need to redo mine.  The underneath isn't showing through except for one tiny corner - no big deal -  it just isn't safe, and there is one spot I semi-repaired where I moved some hardware.  I got the color very close but the finish looks unprofessional at best.

Quote from: scgunner on May 26, 2021, 10:51:27 AM

I really don't see your concern with repainting the decks since Interlux is a high quality marine finish designed for just this purpose.

Also while your friend Neil's surface treatment turned out beautifully and I'm sure provides excellent purchase, it doesn't look like it would be very bare foot friendly.

I don't recall saying I had a concern about painting a deck in general - I didn't intend to imply that.  Only painting non-skid ("out of the can" as you said.)   Renewing non-skid is different than just rolling on Interlux, which, as you pointed out will fill nooks and crannies and lessen the safety function.

On ND's non-skid, my point was to show an alternative to non-skid (paint) treatments by rolling on gel cost, not his choice of the finish.  As he explained, it's adjustable by sanding the finished gel coat texture to one's preference (which he did, and I suppose also by which roller one uses?)  His is a bit too road-rash for my taste as well.  Nevertheless, I got drummed into my bean during several ASA and CSA certifications that it's unsafe to go forward w/o footwear.  And I don't permit anyone else on the boat to do so either.

What I can't wrap my brain around is, if the CTY pattern is diamond, how could it be applied as a paint (not be colored gel coat)?  Non-slip color aside -- I randomly picked up a rattle can off the self in Home Depot and found that it matches my inside liner exactly (yet I know that CTY didn't paint the inside of the boat.)