cracks in the keel

Previous topic - Next topic

Medved

Hi all, finally got the bottom blasted and it revealed a number of cracks in the keel and one crack in the hull above prop. As a newbie to sailboats I need some advice as to what to do. Is it reparable? Can the whole thing be replaced? 1988 C34 wing keel. Photos are here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ztwfap48tNRYNu5t9

Dave Spencer

This issues shown in the pictures appear to be easily repairable. Do a search for "Catalina Smile". The minor separation you see at the keel is common on our boat and not a cause for alarm.
I think the crack near your prop strut is also covered on this site. Do some searching and I'm certain you'll find helpful information.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Medved

Quote from: Dave Spencer on June 20, 2021, 10:09:23 AM
This issues shown in the pictures appear to be easily repairable. Do a search for "Catalina Smile". The minor separation you see at the keel is common on our boat and not a cause for alarm.
I think the crack near your prop strut is also covered on this site. Do some searching and I'm certain you'll find helpful information.

thank you Dave. What about the back of the keel? it looks pretty bad from my perspective

KWKloeber

You never know until you start grinding away but the keel looks to be just delaminating fairing.  Nothing fatal but the cause for it should be investigated - most probably not a big deal.
The smile is the smile, tons about it recently posted on here. Again try to determine if you have water seeping down from the bilge, and how extensive (hidden) the damage once you start uncovering the keel joint.
The crack near the strut COULD be more problematic if it's not simply more delimitation of fairing vs structural. More likely the former (fingers crossed.)  Just start getting into the grinding but always be aware there's a possibility of a deeper issue (cause) than what shows at the surface (symptom.)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Medved

Met with the boat yard today and all are correct that this is the "smile" issue and they told me it is not a big deal and just a "maintenance" item every few years. They said I will be back in the water by next week :)

Steve McGill

The crack above the strut will show as as a half circle. When the strut is installed it is adjusted and aligned with the shaft. The bolts are completed and the area is then filled in. Ive seen this from pics  from the factory.

I had this crack when I purchased Clarity in 2007. I ground out a slight "V"  in the area and all is well. MY STRUT WAS NOT LOOSE.

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD