Honda 2000 generator

Previous topic - Next topic

glennd3

Let me ask a question about the noise. Would you use the generator if you were rafted with other boats or in a tight anchorage?  I would love to see one being used but have not run across anyone yet with one, although I really haven't been looking.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Stu Jackson

Quote from: glennd3 on June 09, 2021, 10:42:41 AM
Let me ask a question about the noise. Would you use the generator if you were rafted with other boats or in a tight anchorage?  I would love to see one being used but have not run across anyone yet with one, although I really haven't been looking.

Glenn, upfront disclaimer:  I do not have a generator.  That said, it is a matter of etiquette.  From everything I have read and that I trust the source, it is simply a matter of being considerate about the time it is run, the duration and surroundings.

One time a fellow C34-er was rafted up way outboard of us and his power cord wouldn't reach the dock.  So I just plugged his cord into one of my outlets down below and piggybacked him.  While not generator-specific, it was a helping hand for him, and could well have been in an anchorage or rafted up and he needed the juice.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Hardesty

QuoteLet me ask a question about the noise. Would you use the generator if you were rafted with other boats or in a tight anchorage?  I would love to see one being used but have not run across anyone yet with one, although I really haven't been looking.

I'm with Stu, it's all about being considerate to others.  Really isn't that loud, can carry conversation next to mine when it's running.  If you are rafted up, just ask if it bothers any one.  Don't start it up at sunrise unless you are way out.   And Always be aware and cautious of the exhaust fumes.
I have an inverter, use that for much of my power.  Use the generator to charge batteries after 2 or 3 days at anchor and to run the air conditioner or water heater if necessary.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA