Honda 2000 generator

Previous topic - Next topic

jmcdonald

I know there has been a lot of talk about how to store a Honda 2000 generator on our boats, and I
don't know if this has been pointed out before. Forgive me if it's old news.
There is another mk1 in my marina, and the owner (Bob Sachs, a member here) was showing me
how he stored it in his cockpit lazarette. If you tip the top of the generator toward the hull, put the
generator into the back of the lazarette, then return it to it's upright position, it will fit Perfectly.
The back of the lazarette is taller under the coaming, takes a little steady muscle to back it back out.
Anyway, I never knew there was a way to fit it in there. Hope this help others.

Ron Hill

jmc : That's essentially how I store my Honda 1000 (because I have dock lines stored in the underside of the hatch lid). 

If you can do the same thing with the 2000, then "Go For It !! "

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

jmcdonald

Here is a picture of the generator in the lazarette.

Noah

I assume you are talking about the Portside seat locker on the Mk1 (not the helm seat/lazarette). I would feel comfortable storing a generator full of gas in that location.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

WTunnessen

I converted mine to run on propane, so I store it down below when I bring it on board. Put my fiberglass tank in the anchor locker.  Also have a Lehr outboard, so I've eliminated gasoline completely.
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

jmcdonald

Yes Noah, he uses the port locker.
I would think you would want to have some additional venting if it was
stored with gas in it. I had never seen a 2000 in a port locker before and
thought it was interesting.

Noah

Very hard to seal/isolate/vent that locker. Maybe I'm too conservative, but I would definately not store it there with fuel in it.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

girmann

Quote from: jmcdonald on May 20, 2021, 07:01:54 PM
Yes Noah, he uses the port locker.
I would think you would want to have some additional venting if it was
stored with gas in it. I had never seen a 2000 in a port locker before and
thought it was interesting.

When looking for a MkII over the last few years, I saw this done in probably a quarter of the boats we looked at. I'm not sure that it's the best idea, but it looks fairly common.
Proud owner of hull #1488

gwp

Interesting! Never knew that. Has anyone set up a thru Hull for exhaust for running it in there?

Jim Hardesty

QuoteWhen looking for a MkII over the last few years, I saw this done in probably a quarter of the boats we looked at. I'm not sure that it's the best idea, but it looks fairly common.

I store my Honda 2000 in the port locker,  never store it with a full tank.  Run it on the cockpit floor or behind wheel, store gas in the anchor locker.   Seems to be the best option for me. I've never had a sniff of gas the locker or cabin. Really doubt that running one inside the port locker would be a good idea for a number of reasons, even if the exhaust is vented overboard.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Guys : I've never smelled gasoline fumes either. 

If you want to vent it, get another fuel overflow vent and install it in the port side locker!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

bayates

We store our 2000 in the port side locker.  I found a plastic bin that it fits perfectly in and then just slide it forward and out of the way.  Been doing it now for 9 years with no issues.
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

Brad Young

We store and lock ours to the binnacle forward. We have a bimini and I had a binnacle cover made to cover the Binnacle and the honda 2000. We are on DarBay 3 to 6 months at a time and need our storage for other things.
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

lazybone

This seems to be the safest of the options offered in this thread.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ron Hill

Guys : I know of another C34 owner that stores his Honda 2000 shock corded to the binnacle when NOT on the boat.  He then sails with it attached, but with friends aboard, moves it below to the entry way in the aft cabin - for more space in the cockpit!!

a few thoughts 
Ron, Apache #788