Newbie question - 3 blade Prop

Previous topic - Next topic

Medved

Looking to replace original 2 blade prop on the new to me 1988 C34 M25X diesel. So far the reading I have done here points to 15 - 10 prop. I am leaning towards a fixed blade prop as I heard/read issues with folding props not engaging when put in reverse. Curious what the group is using for both fixed and folding as far as brand, size, pitch, size of the blade (sailor thinner or regular larger blade).

Ron Hill

Med : The 15" diameter x 10" pitch is for the Sailor (thin blade) style fixed 3 bladed prop.  Once you go the a "thicker" 3 bladed fixed prop the pitch is UNKNOWN !!!!   :donno:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

NEVER had an issue with my 3 blade 15x10 Flexofold not opening. At full throttle forward it buries my sugar scoop stern a bit.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

April 2015  Haulout 6 (I'm up to 8 now).
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Hardesty

QuoteCurious what the group is using for both fixed and folding as far as brand, size, pitch, size of the blade

I have a 3 blade Maxiprop.  Never had a problem with blades engaging or feathering, it's been trouble free 15 seasons.  Motors at near hull speed.  I think of it as the best sail change I've made.  Disadvantage $$
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Medved

Quote from: Stu Jackson on May 20, 2021, 03:18:59 PM

What brand of prop is it? Again, newbie here :)

Medved

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on May 20, 2021, 04:12:57 PM
QuoteCurious what the group is using for both fixed and folding as far as brand, size, pitch, size of the blade

I have a 3 blade Maxiprop.  Never had a problem with blades engaging or feathering, it's been trouble free 15 seasons.  Motors at near hull speed.  I think of it as the best sail change I've made.  Disadvantage $$
Jim

Is this the one you have? I am assuming 15 diameter and 10 pitch? https://flexofold.com/folding-propellers/5-shaft-propellers/17-3-blade-shaft-folding-propeller/

Noah

I have a Flexofold as pictured. Jim has Max Prop.
Standard Rig

Jim Hardesty

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Medved on May 20, 2021, 04:34:44 PM
Quote from: Stu Jackson on May 20, 2021, 03:18:59 PM

What brand of prop is it? Again, newbie here :)

I don't know.  The PO, who owned the boat for 12 years when I bought her in 1998, removed (and saved) the OEM 2 blade.  Because someone mentioned the thickness of the blades in an earlier reply on this thread, I provided those three views so if anyone wanted to find out, they could.

My understanding is the two choices are Campbell or Michigan Prop.  I don't know which one mine is.

I raced with my "three pronged dragging bucket" quite successfully on SF Bay in the early OOs.  Of course, there was wind there!  Other places with lighter winds would make sense to consider feathering/folding.  I don't like moveable stuff I can't get to, but concerns about that issue seem to have been answered by those who have done the research and homework to make the decision.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waughoo

I have this funny shaped 3 blade.  It does a fantastic job burring the whole swim platform at full throttle on my mk1.5.  Unfortunately, I dont know anything about it other than its curious shape.  Anyone recognize it?

Given the opportunity and funds, I would LOVE a 3 blade maxprop.

****EDIT****  This works much better with the picture attached
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Medved

Quote from: Noah on May 20, 2021, 05:28:21 PM

Sorry, mixed them up. Noah, any advice on where to buy flexofold these days? I did some googling and did not see much.

girmann

Quote from: Medved on May 21, 2021, 03:01:47 AM
Quote from: Noah on May 20, 2021, 05:28:21 PM

Sorry, mixed them up. Noah, any advice on where to buy flexofold these days? I did some googling and did not see much.

Reach out to them directly. Earlier this year I got a quote for a Flexofold 3 blade. They said it would take 3 days to make it and 3 days shipping from Denmark to the East Coast of the US
Proud owner of hull #1488

Noah

Standard Rig

Analgesic

So, after my 3 blade fixed 51 x 10 prop had a few too many digs, I did my research and just launched with my new Campbell Sailor 3 blade.  Very limited early feedback is that I easily motored at 6.5 knots without the engine (1988 21 hp Universal) racing (tach not accurate so not sure of rpms).  Brief broad reach sail in 4 knots apparent, genoa only had be moving at 3.2 knots in flat water, never would have happened with the old prop; and stopping was much slower at the mooring with significantly more pronounced prop walk.  I'm thrilled with the motoring result and reduced drag in light air and will certainly learn to deal with the mooring /dock approach changes. 
Brian McPhillips  1988 #584  M25XP