Water Pump doesn’t turn off

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Ryan

(Not my pump but) here's the old style I was referring to on mine vs the current style strainer.
It's like 8 bucks, get one, your pump will like it.

-k

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

senorquill

Quote from: Stu Jackson on May 13, 2021, 10:48:03 AM
Quote from: senorquill on May 13, 2021, 05:22:48 AM
Quote from: Stu Jackson on May 12, 2021, 02:18:54 PM
Do you have both water tank valves open at the same time?  If so, shut one and use only one tank at a time.

I only have one tank value open at a time. I've closed both and it keeps running. I've opened both and it keeps running.

Thx for the answer.  Then it's time to use the troubleshooting guide Ken suggested.  A friend with the same pump recently spent some time on the phone with Shurflo, and all they did was lead him to take off the inlet connection and find a piece of crud in there, just like the guide says to do.  Good luck.

I ended up removing both the black plumbing connectors on the inlet and outlet lines. I took my dock hose and blasted water at high pressure into both side, which made a mess. I then turned the pump on with no hoses connected and ran it, block both sides with my fingers on and off. Hooked up it back up and now it works! Must have been something caught in there? I'll see how long it works for, but it hasn't  turned on like that since.
MQ

KWKloeber

If it's ok now GET THE STRAINER ON IT!!!

Lesson learned  :D :D

Quote from: senorquill on May 15, 2021, 02:03:35 PM
Quote from: Stu Jackson on May 13, 2021, 10:48:03 AM
Quote from: senorquill on May 13, 2021, 05:22:48 AM
Quote from: Stu Jackson on May 12, 2021, 02:18:54 PM
Do you have both water tank valves open at the same time?  If so, shut one and use only one tank at a time.

I only have one tank value open at a time. I've closed both and it keeps running. I've opened both and it keeps running.

Thx for the answer.  Then it's time to use the troubleshooting guide Ken suggested.  A friend with the same pump recently spent some time on the phone with Shurflo, and all they did was lead him to take off the inlet connection and find a piece of crud in there, just like the guide says to do.  Good luck.

I ended up removing both the black plumbing connectors on the inlet and outlet lines. I took my dock hose and blasted water at high pressure into both side, which made a mess. I then turned the pump on with no hoses connected and ran it, block both sides with my fingers on and off. Hooked up it back up and now it works! Must have been something caught in there? I'll see how long it works for, but it hasn't  turned on like that since.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Quote from: senorquill on May 15, 2021, 02:03:35 PM

Just for grins & giggles I went and checked that Troubleshooting guide:

PUMP WILL NOT SHUT-OFF: (Pressure switch equipped)  Check the following items:
􀀹 Output line closed and no leaks
􀀹 For air trapped in outlet line or pump head
􀀹 For correct voltage to pump(±10%)
􀀹 Inlet/Outlet valves for debris or swelling...

Gee. surprise...   :D:D:D

And perhaps that's exactly what you did.  Hope so.

Glad to hear.

Oh, also the manual for the pump also says exactly what Ken says it does:

• Installation of a 50 mesh strainer is recommended to prevent foreign debris from entering the pump.

Please forgive me, but I've been on the phone daily for the past week with a friend who has replaced his alternator.  Last week I gave him links to the Critical Upgrades, 101 Topics, Electrical Systems 101 AND Maine Sail's excellent three page tutorial as to how to align your new alternator.  The eight questions he asked me this morning were ALL in Maine Sail's article and the other links.  Every...single...one...

Please RTFM.

I'm very glad you got it going.  Congratulations.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : I believe that I wrote that note about the #50 mesh strainer in the Mainsheet tech notes in the early 1990s!!  Even that course strainer was loaded with all of the cuttings from the factory water tank installation.  As I recall I took a hand full of cuttings/crap out of that strainer even though it was the course#20 mesh!!

It was one of the first problems that I had with my new C34!!  Now all you have to do is get a new #50 mesh strainer and change it out into your Hypro strainer that already installed!! You might also want to get a new gasket - as it's a strange square "O" ring type, but square!! 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788