Join the C34 Association Today!
[C34 Home] [C34Tech Notes] [C34 Tech Wiki] [Join!]
Please login or register.
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Water Pump doesnít turn off  (Read 375 times)

senorquill

• Forum - Seaman
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/senorquill/
Water Pump doesnít turn off
« on: May 12, 2021, 02:05:20 PM »

Gents,

When I turn the water pressure on my water pump, attached photo, doesnít turn off. This just recently happened. I have inspected any for a leak and I donít see one. Once it has pressure the pressure will remain over night. I have filled the water tanks once and that stopped it. But after a little use it just keeps going.

1. Is this a sign of the end of life for the pump? Itís from 2013.
2. Has anyone opened the pump and fixed it or anything?
3. Could it be something else?

Ryan
S/V Dude
MQ

Stu Jackson

• C34IA - Secretary
  • Forum - Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy
    • View Profile
Re: Water Pump doesnít turn off
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 02:18:54 PM »

Do you have both water tank valves open at the same time?  If so, shut one and use only one tank at a time.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

• "Positive Impact" 1984 C-30 mk-I #3573 trbsfk M-25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 02:44:31 PM »

Ryan there is a water pump troubleshooting guide on the wiki site. It can be from things such as a bad diaphragm or check valve.  You shouldnít need a new pump just a kit or at worst a new head. What model number is it?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 02:52:28 PM »

Ryan : I don't know of anyone that has successfully taken that pump apart (BK) - other than looking for some junk that got thru your fresh water strainer.

With FlowJet I called them and they said if the motor runs they would trade me for a complete new pump - which they did!!  Give Shureflow a call and see what they say.

A few thoughts
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 04:40:42 PM by Ron Hill »
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

• C34IA - Secretary
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 08:23:35 PM »

Before you call anyone, could you answer my question and have you read what Ken suggests?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

senorquill

• Forum - Seaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 05:22:48 AM »

Do you have both water tank valves open at the same time?  If so, shut one and use only one tank at a time.

I only have one tank value open at a time. Iíve closed both and it keeps running. Iíve opened both and it keeps running.
MQ

senorquill

• Forum - Seaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 05:23:23 AM »

Ryan : I don't know of anyone that has successfully taken that pump apart - other than looking for some junk that got thru your strainer.

With FlowJet I called them and they said if the motor runs they would trade me for a complete new pump - which they did!!  Give Shureflow a call and see what they say.

A few thoughts

Iíll give them a call. Thanks
MQ

frankya

• Forum - Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 07:36:30 AM »

A clogged/blocked inlet filter or screen will do the same thing.

Jim Lucas

• Forum - Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • 1999 Catalina 34 MKII
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 08:57:33 AM »

I'd almost guarantee that it's the filter/screen being blocked up as frankya said. turn off the pump and you can pull it fairly easily. If you don't have a replacement, use a water hose and blow backwards through it to clean it out and replace.
If it's clogged, you may find you have to do this a few times as you may have some sludge in your water tanks/lines.
Jim Lucas
1999 MKII #1431, M35B, TR/FK 
"Calypso"
Sailing the PNW
Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Victoria, BC Canada

KWKloeber

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021, 09:07:14 AM »

I don't know of anyone that has successfully taken that pump apart - other than looking for some junk that got thru your strainer.

Jeeez.  Ron, meet Ken.  Ken, meet Ron.
Same ShurFlo on the boat for 20+ years.  Replaced the switch once and a kit once (I think, maybe twice.)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Stu Jackson

• C34IA - Secretary
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2021, 10:48:03 AM »

I only have one tank value open at a time. Iíve closed both and it keeps running. Iíve opened both and it keeps running.

Thx for the answer.  Then it's time to use the troubleshooting guide Ken suggested.  A friend with the same pump recently spent some time on the phone with Shurflo, and all they did was lead him to take off the inlet connection and find a piece of crud in there, just like the guide says to do.  Good luck.

KWKloeber

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2021, 11:52:11 AM »

Ryan
I see you donít have a ShurFlo inlet screen installed. Thatís the kindest thing I ever did to my pump.
Mine is an older straight-thru type screen, not the current bowl-type strainer. Google it.
You might also switch to the thumbscrew type inlet/outlet elbows - they make it so convenient to service, winterize, etc., if you need to remove hoses.

Ron Hill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2021, 02:40:47 PM »

Ken, meet Ron!! : I'm talking about taking the pump (itself) apart, not just the pump off the motor  Daaaa!

Ryan : If you can get a new "pump" from Shurflow I believe that will fix your problem.  But you still have to call them!

A few thoughts thought
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 03:00:27 PM by Ron Hill »
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2021, 02:48:48 PM »

Ken, meet Ron!! : I'm talking about taking the pump (itself) apart, not just the pump off the motor  Daaaa!

Ryan : If you can get a new "pump" from Shurflow I believe that will fix your problem.  But you still have to call them!.

A few thoughts thought

Dah - How does one replace the diaphragm and check valve and what not else is in the kit without taking the pump apart?
I don't know of any way to do that task.

Osmosis maybe? 
Or thread it through the inlet or outlet ports?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 02:49:52 PM by KWKloeber »

Ron Hill

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2021, 02:56:36 PM »

Guys : I wrote an article for the Mainsheet tech notes - where I recommended that C34 owners get a finer mesh screen for the fresh water filter bowel.  What came with the boat was a course mesh #20 and that same screen for the course raw water filter.  You have "Hypro 3/4" 3350 inline strainers" (for raw and fresh water). The finer screens are #50 or #80.     :thumb:

You've already have a bowel filter that's plumbed into the fresh water system, just get a finer mesh to put in that same bowel!!   :clap

A thought
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 09:58:22 AM by Ron Hill »
Ron, Apache #788
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up