First sail of 2021

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulJacobs

Hallelujah! 

Today Nancy and I took Pleiades out for her first sail of the season.  It was blowing 10-12 knots out of the SW at 11 am and by 2 pm it was up to 15-18 knots.  We put in a first reef and sailed from Wickford (only six sailboats on moorings in the entire harbor - which in mid July will probably have in excess of 70.  Initially we sailed close hauled up to the Jamestown bridge, then fell off to a broad reach hitting 6.7 knots, rounded the north end of Conanicut island, and then sailed across the east passage of Narragansett Bay past the south end of Prudence island and over to Portsmouth.  As it had clouded over by this time and the wind was approaching 20 knots, we decided to head back to Wickford.  With a thoroughly clean bottom, a first reef in the mainsail and our little 110% genoa, we were close reaching at 7.4 knots and even surfed at 7.74 knots on a small wave.

None of this is especially extraordinary - except that I am 82 and Nancy is 71 and she is recently recovered from major surgery.  Just to be out sailing, with the wind in our faces, the sun on our backs (however briefly), watching gulls flying overhead while listening to that magical sound of water sizzling past the hull was utterly glorious.  We are truly blessed.  Thank you to all of you on this forum who contribute bits and pieces of information that help this old salt keep our beloved C34  sailing properly.

Dr. Paul Jacobs
Pleiades
1990 C34 MK 1.5
No. 1068
TR/FK
Wickford, RI

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

Huzzah Paul!! That sounds like a perfect day. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

ewengstrom

Sounds like a glorious day sir, glad you were able to thoroughly enjoy the sail.   :thumb: We also got out on our first sail of the season yesterday on the Potomac, winds were calling for 10 to 15 and I'd estimate that it was blowing a steady 12 with occasional gusts well over 15. We decided to just putter about on headsail only and were hitting a steady 5.5+ and occasionally sailing along at a steady 6.5!!! I'm just constantly amazed at how well our C34 sails and my wife is much more comfortable on this boat as opposed to our old Bristol. We too are blessed!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Jim Hardesty

:thumb:

Paul,
Was great reading of your sail.  About a week from my first sail of the season.  I'm 74 and still enjoying the sport. Good to hear that sailors a few years senior to me are out there.
Fair winds,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

glennd3

Doc I enjoy how well you write, please continue.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland