Transmission Oil Change on a MK II Boat

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Mann

Attached are a couple of pictures regarding transmission fluid changes.  Two caveats, firstly this is a Mk II boat with an M35 BC engine, secondly I live in Georgia, so no need to fill transmissions to the top and suck fluid out with a turkey baster during and after winterization. Of course a little ATF might make turkey taste better.

If you will remove the cabinetry in the aft cabin, that sits over the rear of the engine and the tranny, most work on that end of the drive line is super easy.  Six screws and turn slightly and lift and it is out of the way.

Now it is possible to get a 17mm combination wrench on the drain plug and on the filler/dipstick, without use of extensions and crows foot sockets and without skinning knuckles and adding to the swear box kitty. 

I use a Weber BBQ foil tray, from Home Depot, by the dozen, it will take 0.35 liters and still allow you to carefully pull it from under the transmission to retrieve the drain plug, because its going to fall in!  I usually manage to get a little on the floor under the transmission, which is easily wiped up, and I do unsnap the carpet in the rear cabin just in case a wayward power boat wake catches me in mid action.

With clear access a regular funnel or a transmission funnel allows easy, clean refilling.
Catalina 34 MkII, Indigostar, 2002 no 1622, Tall Rig, M35-BC

Stu Jackson

Excellent, thanks.  Added to Transmissions 101.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

ewengstrom

Sooooo.....is anybody else here feeling just a wee bit jealous looking at the access the MK-2 has to the aft part of the engine????? I seem to remember lying on my back (mostly upside down) sort of twisted onto one shoulder to gain access to the aft part of the transmission and coupling on our MK-1 and wondering how hard it would be to take a saw to that cabinet above me to get access like this.....
After seeing this picture I may revisit this thought over the winter of 2021... 8)
Oh what the heck....maybe we'll just pick up a MK-2 and skip the whole sawdust thing!!!!!
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Jim Hardesty

QuoteIf you will remove the cabinetry in the aft cabin, that sits over the rear of the engine and the tranny, most work on that end of the drive line is super easy.  Six screws and turn slightly and lift and it is out of the way.

Good to know and see the access that can be gained, think I'll try that next time. 
Thanks for sharing.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

waughoo

Holy vacaballs batman!!  That is some jealous making engine access!!!
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Robert Mann

It took me longer than it should have to figure this out.  I got there when I was trouble shooting the famous low oil pressure, resistor, lack of buzzer issue.  Prior to that I have busted a few knuckles.  First time out is takes a bit of finesse to turn and lift to get it out, be patient and 2nd go round it's a 5 minute job.  You can see the 2 screws in the glass clearly in the top photo and the other 4 are into the forward facing woodwork on the same level.

The same applies to the panel in front of the engine, under the steps.  Pull that one when you need to get to the alternator, oil pressure switch etc, it's not so dramatic an effect, but still worth doing, just don't step on the hinged lid when the panel is removed.

Sailing Amok

Wow. I just got home from futzing around performing the transmission change while doing a side plank and bruising a rib. I should have checked what was new in the forum a couple hours ago.
Aaron & Kristina
1998 C34 MKII "Coral Wave" M35B
Thunder Bay, ON

Mick Laver

Hi Robert
You don't actually have to remove the cabinetry to get your 17mm box end on either the top dipstick plug or the bottom drain plug. It's a little more of a reach but not too bad. PG-13 words.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Jim Hardesty

QuoteYou don't actually have to remove the cabinetry to get your 17mm box end on either the top dipstick plug or the bottom drain plug.

I agree.  It's not terrible.  FWIW  I think a left-hander would have a much easier time with the transmission fill and drain. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on May 05, 2021, 04:27:55 AM
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I think a left-hander would have a much easier time with the transmission fill and drain. 

Jim, you're right!  I mean... 

Yup, I've always thought it was a boat built for lefties.  Kinda like Goofy Baseball Pitchers.

Here's how some have done it on Mark I boats:

https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9822.0.html

Because I've added this to Transmissions 101, this will show up there, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Then there are "mechanics" like me, all thumbs, and busted knuckles :cry4`
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Robert Mann

I hear you Mick and Jim, I am done reaching under and over that piece of cabinetry, 5 minutes of my time spent yanking it out and I can see and reach the lot, with ease.  Putting another, lower, access door in it might make life a bit smoother. 

WTunnessen

RE:  Access on MK 1 -  I relocated the heat exchanger a few years ago to provide better access to the transmissions and most other areas on aft part of the engine. These pictures aren't great but they give an idea of the set up. Its made changing the transmission oil much easier!
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

Roc

The original method that attaches the aft cabin cabinetry is from the inside.  I drilled through the face of the cabinet and used screws with finish washers.  Easy now to remove the six screws from the outside, instead of doing it inside.  The screws with the finish washers look like it was assembled that way from the factory.  Actually, many panels in the C34 are attached like that, so it looks original.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

KWKloeber

With clear access a regular funnel or a transmission funnel allows easy, clean refilling.

Check out the "new way" to refill a tranny that an owner just revealed that he does (the "2.2 Alternate Method.") 
I don't know why someone before now hadn't come up with this adaptation.
https://groups.io/g/Catalina30/wiki/11617

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain