Catalina island

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Forshier

I am going to Catalina island this summer and wondering about the marina there and the sailing opportunities. Have any of you had any experience there?

scgunner

Terry,

Boy have you come to the right place! A while back I was sitting on a mooring in Avalon Harbor and decided to go through the log to see how many times I had made the trip. On just my C34 "Top Gun", we've made the trip 141 times since we got the boat in 1988!

Avalon doesn't have a marina, but they do have a lot of moorings which can be rented on a nightly basis. For our size boat I believe it's about $45 a night. Weekends in the summer moorings are all but impossible to get. If you want to stay through the weekend you'd better plan on arriving early in the week.

At the other end of the island is the Isthmus which also has moorings and the rental situation is about the same.

I could go on and on but it might be better if you just ask specific questions.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

scgunner

Terry,

If you go to www.visitcatalinaisland.com there is a webcam and you can check it out.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Terry Forshier

I guess I should have been more specific. I am going to catalina Isald to visit a relative for a week or two. Flying from Florida and then the ferry. Not sailing my C34.  Looking for things to do there and thought of leasing a boat for a day or two. Just wondering about others experiences.
Thanks, Terry

scgunner

Terry,

That site has all the info you'll need on island activities. As far as boat rentals go, you can rent a small motorboat, usually by the hour, off the pier, but I'm not aware of anything bigger that can be rented, certainly not a sailboat if that's what you're looking for.