Filling small aft hull depression

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on May 06, 2021, 02:44:14 PM
Kevin : Most of the 1986 (first production year) C34 do not have an aft water tank!!

A thought

Mine is #224, mid-1986 production year, maybe later in the year, and I have an aft water tank.  I do not have a V berth tank.  I have a starboard settee tank.

Generalizations are not always applicable.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ekutney

I have hull #42 & DO NOT have an aft water tank but do have both a V berth & starboard settee tank.  The boat also had a flexible bladder under the aft berth.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

scgunner

Ron,

I was aware of the fact that early boats didn't have an aft tank, which of course makes the leaky rear tank problem moot. It does raise some interesting questions though, like what did they use that space for, it's a pretty large dead space? How does it affect the balance of the boat? I know on my boat when the aft tank is empty the cockpit sole won't drain, water collects forward.

Ed,

I'm interested in your water bladder under the aft berth. Do you know if it came that way from the factory or was added by a PO? Either way it seems like a good use of a largely unusable dead space.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

Kevin : I'll guess that balance is why Catalina decided to install an aft water tank and eliminate the Vberth tank ???

I agree with you in the rain collection of water near the companion way deck!   I then know it's time to refill the aft tank!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788