exhaust flange leak?

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Save yourself future headaches and just butt crimp them together.
WWWHHHYYY DDDOOOEEESSS ANYONE NEED TERMINALS THERE???? 

I quit popping my engine in and out every season for a spring cleaning so no longer need disconnects on the harness.

*** WWWWHHHYYYY DOES AAANNNYYYOOONNNEEE STILL HAVE GUMMY BEAR PLUGS ON THEIR HARNESS?!?!? ***

Ok, that rant over - HIGH RESISTANCE at the gummy bear IS NOT the cause. 
High resistance on the S wire causes a LOW temp gauge reading. Grounding the S wire (zero resistance) causes the gauge to pin high.

PERHAPS the plug is "leaking" over to the harness ground ????   I've never seen that happen or confirmed it, but the gauge is DEFO not reading high from high resistance!!

IIWMG, I'd check it per the troubleshooting guide I posted on the wiki, AND IIWMTS verify its resistance at two temps.
@ 70 deg it should be **about** 700 ohms and at boiling it should be **about** ohms. 
ALSO the gauge is accurate to **about** +/- 15 degrees.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

waughoo

You are right about the resistance.  I had forgotten about that.  The gauge definitely jumped along with the fuel gauge when I would wiggle the harness at that plug.  It is completely wrapped with tape at the moment and I wont be messing with it until the replacement plugs arrive, but now I am quite curious what I will find in there.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Stu Jackson

Alex, if wiggling makes something happen, have you considered removing the tape before you get your new connectors to see what's going on in there? 

You could easily find a shorting connection which could/would ruin your day (as noted in Critical Upgrades).  You could separate the wires and connect them individually for safety until you get your new connectors.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waughoo

The boat is in project mode and not going anywhere for some time.  That said, it is likely best to leave the engine off till that gets sorted out.  The new connections arrive next week so it should be done by next Sunday. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

KWKloeber

Quote from: Stu Jackson on January 16, 2022, 11:01:05 AM
Alex, if wiggling makes something happen, have you considered removing the tape before you get your new connectors to see what's going on in there? 

You could easily find a shorting connection which could/would ruin your day (as noted in Critical Upgrades).  You could separate the wires and connect them individually for safety until you get your new connectors.

Tape can hide a boatload of sin!!!

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Alex : The "trailer connectors were put on the engines for only ONE reason" - ease of installation on the production line!!! 

Like Ken said "about popping out your engine" every fall and reinstalling it every spring??  The engine is in there to STAY!!

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

waughoo

Duely noted all.  They will indeed be replaced with deutsch connectors.  I happen to appreciate harness disconnects even if the engine or component isnt planned for removal.  Sometimes having a connection allows for access to some other component in the area. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

waughoo

I replaced my engine harness trailer plug yesterday and made a thread showing what I found and what I used to fix it.  Replacing this plug solved my engine gauge problem and I now am sitting solidly at 165.  Here is a link to the thread.

https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,11283.0.html
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte