Rigid vang help

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

I had some issues with mine after I put my mast back up and Garhauer was very helpful after I sent them some photos. It can be a challenging piece of equipment to get set up or re set but like any other mechanical part, it take a little study and patience.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

ewengstrom

Follow up.
Many thanks to all who helped me figure this mess out. As it turns out it had been installed completely upside down by the PO and not rigged correctly in the first place.....boy did that leave me wondering!!!!
Alex, a special thanks to you for the video, that was most helpful sir!!!
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

waughoo

Thanks for letting us know you sorted it out.  I am rather fond of my ridgid vang as I feel it makes my boat seem fancy :-)  You are most welcome for the help. 
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Eric : looking at your picture, I'd recommend that you make a Sunbrella cover for your mast boot to keep it out of the hot sun!!   

I wrote a Mainsheet tech note article w/picture on the "How To"!!   :thumb:

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

wingman

I may get dinged for this question, but how do I find referenced "how to" on the Sunbrella cover :?? I've got an extra piece of Sunbrella looking for a home, thanks in advance.
2000 MkII, wing keel, #1471

ewengstrom

Not a bad idea Ron, right now I'm finishing up making a new dodger (with covers), bimini, connector, stack pack, winch covers, instrument cover, coaming compartment covers, handrail covers, hatch covers and a sun shade for the front hatch while at anchor. But it's starting to look like I'll have a bit of Sunbrella bits left over and I believe that may be a darn good use for some of it, Thanks!!!!   :thumb:
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Jim Hardesty

From Home, search box, boot cover, Ron Hill.

Although I didn't mention it in my article, this is a great time to replace your mast boot if yours hasn't been covered by a sunbrella UV protection
(How to make a mast boot protector - another Mainsheet tech note article May 1992)

A thought

Now you can search Mainsheet May 1992. 
The search feature took some using for me to learn.  I do find it's very useful for my poor memory.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: wingman on April 20, 2021, 04:37:01 AM
I may get dinged for this question, but how do I find referenced "how to" on the Sunbrella cover :?? I've got an extra piece of Sunbrella looking for a home, thanks in advance.

Used The Knowledgebase, CTRL-F, boot:

https://www.c34.org/mainsheet/pdf/1992_no2.pdf
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

wingman

Quote from: Stu Jackson on April 20, 2021, 10:21:12 AM
Used The Knowledgebase, CTRL-F, boot:

https://www.c34.org/mainsheet/pdf/1992_no2.pdf

Stu, got it thanks! :clap But for some reason, my login won't work when I follow the link provided.

Ron Hill

Guys : What you need to do is to take a few hours and look at just the titles of the articles in the Mainsheet tech notes.  When you see one that really might be of interest then read that article.  That way you'll at least have seen what is available in the past 30+ years (well over 500 articles!!!). 

I haven't seen many new problems (that hasn't already been addresses) in the last 15 years!!  However, you'll find some really neat modifications !!!    :thumb:

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 21, 2021, 02:28:02 PM

I haven't seen a new problem (that hasn't already been addresses) in the last 15 years!!  You'll find some really neat modifications !!!    :thumb:

There are always new things to do and to learn.  There are new skippers joining this forum on a regular basis, and many have become C34IA members.

It is important to recognize that new issues arise all the time, whether from newly occurring things that no one has ever experienced or from new technology.

For example, no one has ever had to replace a stud in the gear case cover for their raw water pump.  Not that I've ever read about.  That's why I wrote my experience up in so much detail.

No one ever reported on the ball check valve in the Racor 24 Series filter housings.

Few, over the years, have installed compacting heads, and some of the new electric heads are only relatively recent developments.

AIS didn't exist but until just a few years ago.

Yes, there is a ton of information on our boats and boat systems.  I have chosen the path of doing what I can to contribute, but find that it seems to help folks more by posting links than it does to say "go read it." My sticky threads on helpful ways to use this website encourages skippers to do just what you propose.  I call it "Reading the Headlines."

But the "there ain't nothin' new" trope gets really old, really quickly.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Phil Spicer

Stu, thanks for the sticky threads. Knowledge like yours, Rons and many others help 100's of us each year as we fix things ourselves. Finding help in a hurry ( your stickies ) is very helpful and some times we need help now. Not having to dig all day can make a bad situation a little better in a short time. Also those of you that have written so much over the years have a deeper knowledge of what is in these 100's of pages and where to find the information quickly. Thanks for sharing that knowledge and the many points of view as so many of us try to solve problems. Great boat, Great wealth of knowledge.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

wingman

Phil, heartily second your comments! This is a great resource, with superb advice provided, and I know there is a lot of behind the scenes work to make it all work. Thanks to all who make it such an amazing source of practical and authoritative info :clap :clap :clap

Ron Hill

Guys : Sorry, I was a bit rash on my "haven't seen" statement. 

However, I would still recommend that new owners should take the time to "breeze thru" the Mainsheet tech notes and just look at the titles of the articles.  I know that they will find a number of articles that you'll be really interested in!!!   :D

I've run into a few perplexing situations my self -- that I've never written about. Probably, the most confusing was when a bolt holding the 13 loop teak wooden hand hold broke the head off while I was trying removing that hand hold.

What I didn't notice was that the head broke horizontally in half, leaving half of the "V" head still on the bolt.  I had a 6' 4"  250lb friend below that was trying to pull that bolt "with a broken head" thru to the inside of the salon. I kept telling him that he wasn't pulling hard enough!!!  I'm surprised that we didn't collapse the starboard overhead he was pulling so hard!!
We finally used a punch and drove the bolt thru to the top to remove it!!   :clap

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788