Thermostat Corrosion?

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

Friends have just moved here to retire and they are looking for a 1988 C34.  We found #575 in Mobile identical to Breezer for $49.5K.  Boat looks good inside and out, but will be surveyed and the engine inspected by my mechanic.  I noticed that there was an accumulation of white powder on top of the thermostat housing.  Any idea what that might be?

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

wilsonlb

No idea what the powder is.

However, I think I looked at the same boat a few months ago (Oraios?) - it was $54.5 then.  I choose another that was less expensive, but your friend's potential new boat was my second choice.  Looked good to me too(though the AC installation is a little...different).

Stu Jackson

Mike & Larry

If there's white powder, it could simply be a leak from the petcock.  Why not crank it up and see what's happening?  White powder also happens say around the raw water pump edges, at least on my Oberdorfer.  Could easily be simple salt from a small leak.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike Smith

Larry - Yep, that's the boat.  Good to see they dropped the price.  Jere and Karen, our friends, and I are going back Friday and he will problably make a low 40's offer.I'll look at the AC installation then.

Stu -
Boat is on stands or we would have cranked it up. Powder is "puddled" on top of the thermostat housing and is about 1/8" thick. As I recall, on the Universal 25 there should be a sensor screwed in there somewhere - its missing.

Ron -
Don't usually taste white powder, it looks like salt, but I'll try it Friday. There was no odor.

The boat looks really good on the outside, is outfitted well, and needs just a few things - it has an old Autohelm 3000 with an exposed belt which will be replaced with a ST4000 and the head hoses need replacing.  Head itself is spotless, teak and holly sole is in perfect condition. Jere will have all the time he needs to make it perfect.  Catalinas are great boats!

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

Mike Smith

We looked at the boat again today.  Here is a picture of the mystery powder on the thermostat housing.  Any ideas?

Mystery Powder

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

Ray & Sandy Erps

The picture really helps.  This type of corrosion is pretty typical when you have heat, some bare metal and a salt water solution that has come in contact with it.  Betcha the motor had a salt water leak at one time, since fixed, but the motor didn't get a good fresh water rinse afterwards.  

I'm too lazy to paint all the little chips in the paint on my engine, but I do give the exterior metal a hit of WD-40 now and then and it keeps it looking pretty good with a lot less effort.  Hard work never killed anyone, but why take chances.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

jentine

Is the thermostat housing made of aluminum?  If it is the white stuff is aluminum oxide.
Jim Kane

tsoko

Mike, Jim, et al,
The thermostat housing IS made of cast aluminum. Very easy to drill and tap for a second temperature sender.

Mike Smith

Thanks, Tom.  In the picture you can see that a temperature sensor is attached to the front side of the housing with a blue insulated terminal wire attached to it.  I'm just wondering what could have caused the aluminum oxide to form.

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

jentine

Oxidation is rust or an aluminum form thereof.  I would look for a leak that would cause the problem and secondly, I would examine the housing for porosity if no leak can be determined.
Jim Kane

Mike Smith

Thanks for all the advice. Someone else bought the boat yseterday.  My friend had planned to put a deposit on it today. Bummer.  Well, does anyone know of a 1988 C34 in good condition in the Southeast?

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com