Port side traveler bolt

Previous topic - Next topic

gchid

I have a 2005 C34 Mk II. The port side traveler thru bolt appears to be leaking. I attempted to tighten the bolt , but the inside cabin top started to crack. Does anyone know how thick that inside cabin top is? How would I reinforce it? Thank you for your time.....Gary

Jim Hardesty

QuoteThe port side traveler thru bolt appears to be leaking.

Gary,
Not sure what you are describing.  I've removed the traveler on Shamrock (2001 MKll) and if my memory is correct none of the bolts were through bolts.  I think there's a tapped plate in the deck or the pilon the traveler sits on.  Yours may be a trough bolt.
Regardless, if it were my leak, would remove and rebed.  If required, oversize core and fill with epoxy.   I never try to permanently fix a deck leak only by tightening, once the seal is broken tightening may reduce the leak, but it returns, best to fix right.
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Gary, the leak is coming from either the top of the bolts on the traveler track or from the interface between the track and the raised platform the track lays upon.

Either way, Jim's right, tightening the nut in the cabin below will not stop the leak.  You can stop worrying about the headliner completely.

You must address the leak itself.

Here's a photo of how I did mine.  I used Maine Sail's Bed-it-with-Butyl, two layers underneath the track and wrapped the heads of all the bolts.  Notice one of my bolts is the long through bolt that I installed back in 1999.

The picture is from before I removed the track and shows the old silicone below it, no wonder it leaked!
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."