Nut size

Previous topic - Next topic

frogdoc58

Hi All,

Does anyone know the size of the nuts on the keel studs?  I read somewhere that it's a good idea to check that they are still torqued up to specs while still on the 'hard'.

Thanks,
Paul & Judy
Windswept
1989 Tall rig
Frogdoc

KWKloeber

I bet "keel bolt" will answer that in short order!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

Paul & Judy,
Ken is correct there's lots of discussion on that topic.  It's good to learn the search feature.  Simple answer 1 1/8 107 foot pounds.  Most of us have had to make our own very deep well socket due to the stud length.  Also much discussed before.
Hope that helps,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

frog : On my 1988 it needed to be a 5 inch deepwell 1 1/8" diameter socket. 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

frog : I got my deepwell socket from Snap-on-Tools. It was so long ago I don't remember the cost. 

Ron, Apache #788

ewengstrom

Ron, we have a 1988 and a regular deep socket fit nicely, they don't appear to have been cut either.  I think it just depends how deeply the studs were imbedded into the mold on any given day when the keel was cast.
Eric Wengstrom
s/v Ohana
Colonial Beach, Virginia
1988 Catalina 34 MKI TR/WK
Hull #564
Universal M25XP
Rocna 15

Ron Hill

Eric : You are right about !!  Some of the C34s have their keel bolts extend so that a normal 4" deepwell socket will fit on the nut!!  All depends how the keel was made and or how the hull keel stub thickness may have changed!!   From my experience MOST keel nuts require a 5" deepwell socket!!

You'll find that with Catalina you can NEVER say Always or Never!!  Because the Catalina factory may have done something or installed something different to keep the production line moving !!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788