Iverson Dodger

Previous topic - Next topic

waughoo

I got my new Iversons dodger installed yesterday.  Those who know of them will know who they are.  For those not in the know, they are a unique trade mark design of dodgers and enclosures here in the PNW.  In my opinion, they make the best looking and performing dodger.  I had mine upgraded with Markalon glazing (a polycarbonite glass), side and rear grab bar and UV resistant stitching.  The way they make them, the top section is stretched so tight that it rings like a drum when you strike it!!  Im pretty excited about it and wanted to share it with you all.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

mark_53

Looks nice but can you sit under it?

Stu Jackson

Quote from: mark_53 on April 13, 2021, 09:38:32 AM
Looks nice but can you sit under it?

Don't see why not.  Mine's a lot lower than Alex's.

Dodger Height 101 with Pictures and Links

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7161.0.html

and here's another 1010 dodger link:

Dodgers & Canvas 101  thanks to Maine Sail

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8640.msg61526.html#msg61526

Alex, looks great, those handholds are really superb.  Enjoy, know you will.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waughoo

The height is such that when i stand in the cocpit my chin fits right over the aft grab bar (I am 6' tall).  When sitting on the cockpit benches up against the cabin, my head has plenty of clearance.  The projection over the cabin is just enough to allow one's head to stay comforably dry but there isnt full coverage for legs etc.  Any deeper into the cockpit and i felt it would get crowded to walk about. My helm has a forward projecting binnacle guard which shrinks down the cockpit a bit.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Ron Hill

Alex : I hope that you had your dodger made with Gortex/life of the material thread.  The thread is the first thing to go (suns' UV eats it up)   :cry4`

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Alex—Very Nice dodger. But... perhaps these Iverson guys maybe take themselves a bit too seriously. I went to their website (as I am in the market for a new dodger, too), and the first thing you get on their site is this pop-up message:

"Please be advised: Iverson's Design Incorporated regularly works with its attorneys who specialize in copyrights, trademarks and patents to protect and preserve not only our proprietary dodger design but also all of the copyrighted content on this website including previous content no longer on this site. We do periodic internet scans to search for possible infringement on our copyrighted materials and our proprietary dodger design. We have successfully worked with our attorneys to terminate unlawful attempts to replicate our design. Any unauthorized use of content on this website or attempts to replicate/reproduce the features of our dodger design are punishable by law and Iverson's Design Incorporated will take legal action to protect against infringement"

Hope I don't get busted for sharing this :abd:
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

The stitching is the goretex product.  They offer it as an upgrade.

As to their pop up warning, they went through a LOT of development to build the product they sell.  Having other canvas people rip off their design gets old.  Thus they had it trade marked to protect it.  They are inordiantly popular here in the Puget Sound area for very good reason.

They do offer travel service design, but at that point it gets so expensive that you may want to opt for a local builder.  As a base dodger without any uogrades, the price was not teribly more expensive than other quotes.  My coice to have the rear welded grab bar, side grab bars, markalon glass and glass covers added more to the cost.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

scgunner

Alex,

If you've already got this then disregard the following. I recently replaced my dodger(4th one)and the latest thing is a full cover which not only covers the windows but the whole dodger itself. This is a really good idea because in my experience I've never replaced a dodger because of the windows, it's always been the top canvas deteriorating and someone accidentally putting a hand through it.

The full cover protects the most vulnerable part, the canvas. If you don't have one , I'd get one to protect your new investment.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

waughoo

I have yet to see that in my cruising area.  I agree that the sun damage is what ages canvas.  The glass covers came about to protect sun damage to the older vinyl products used in dodgers.  I suspect it is less necessary with the Markalon that I have but it was reasonably cheap when ordering new and VERY expensive if you wanted them to make them later on.

I will have to think about the full cover.  Thanks for the idea.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Stu Jackson

When we bought our dodger, back in 2004, our Canvasmithe insisted we get not only covers for the glazing, but a full dodger cover.  Our dodger is a light color (in one of the links I provided), the full cover is a blue to match the rest of the canvas.  I rarely used it in San Francisco, but have put it on for each of the winters here.  I always use the glazing covers during the sailing season.

I also note that almost all the dodgers I see here, at least in the marinas I've been to both here and in the San Juans, do NOT have any window coverings at all.  I think Alex was very wise to do so.  In California, everyone had glazing covers.  I wonder why they don't here, probably a regional local thing.

The issue about the deterioration of the flat part of the dodger seems to be from lack of cleaning, so the fabric starts to rot.  With dark colored dodgers, it's hard to see the start of the mold.  Because mine is light, I can see the mold starting to grow, so I use the Sunbrella website's recipe for treating it.  The first time I did it, I used the Woolite and had to go back a second time with the bleach.  The times after that I mixed the Woolite with bleach and was able to do a great job in one application.

Most folks swear by the 3M 303 protectant, which is very expensive and is a spray.  I found silicone waterproofing CANVAC at Canadian Tire in the outdoors camping section.  It's a BIG paint sized can, and brushes on (none lost to the surrounding air if there's any breeze) and has been superb for my use.  I've done my dodger, mainsail cover, binnacle cover and other cockpit cover pieces for the past four years, it lasts pretty well compared to the 303.  Based on the coverage, it's about 1/2 to 1/3 the price!

When my glazing started to go in 2015, my original builder said I would have to replace the whole dodger because of the way it was built.  I went into one of the two canvas places in my marina, and one of them came up with a great suggestion.  He rebuilt the existing dodger into multiple pieces with zippers between the sections, so that if the top or the glazing or the side(s) died, I'd only have to replace that piece.  I think it's called the California design, but don't recall if the one piece or the multiple pieces is what that refers to.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

glennd3

Alex, I think it looks great!Can you show a picture with the bimini up when you get a chance.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

waughoo

I don't yet have a bimini.  The boat does have a bimini height full cockpit cover that I plan to modify into a helm cover/bimini but that is a ways down the list at the moment.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Gint

This looks amazing! I need a Dodger and Bimini in the near future. Could I ask what the cost was? These are definitely the best looking I've seen!
1987 C34 "Space Cowboy"
San Diego, California

Noah

This is my new "California-style" dodger. It has polycarbonate "windows" I also have an awning that attaches to it and the backstay for shade while at anchor or dockside. No sailing Bimini.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

waughoo

Noah... looks well made and you are going to LOVE the polycarbonate windows.  I have that in mine and it is SOOOO nice.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte